Tinting the Kluger - Tinting vs Coloured Glass??

rzkman

Hi All,

Looking at tinting the front windows of the Kluger to match the rears as close as possible. I rang of these tinting chains here in Melbourne to get more information. The guy was telling me that on the Kluger the rear glass is actually just coloured glass and not a tint film with no UV protection. Is this correct? Or their way of getting me to tint the whole car? Their suggestions was to put a very light tint over the rear glass and then to match it on the fronts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray.

Hi Ray, Ive heard that the glass is tinted too. I dont think you can legally tint the front windows as much as the rear. The main thing I guess, is to try and match the overall shade or colour. Tinting the rest of the windows to do so, seems a little excessive, but Im no expert.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input. I guess one can interpret the word 'tint' in various ways. That is, is it tinted with a film on the glass, or is the colour actually in the glass. What the tint shop is saying is that with coloured glass, there is no UV protection. Since we have a little one in the back, I think it is a good idea to get the UV protection.

I really don't like the current look of dark windows at the back and much lighter windows at the front, but I am guess there is some law in Japan in regards to the max tint at the front.

I do suspect that if I was to tint the fronts to match the rears it will not be a at a legal level - I am hoping that being a more family - oriented car that it won't attract the attention of the boys in blue. Not that its justified cause, but I've seen many cars on the road that have really dark tints all around.

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray, Ive heard that the glass is tinted too. I dont think you can legally tint the front windows as much as the rear. The main thing I guess, is to try and match the overall shade or colour. Tinting the rest of the windows to do so, seems a little excessive, but Im no expert.

ok guys sorry gonna merge this with the other thread about tinting. theres just to many different ones about the same thing.

but i would like to show u what we have done to our kluger.

we tinted the front (clear windows) with 10% film and then we tinted over the privacy glass (the one u call coloured) 20%.

PA283852.jpg

looks awesome from the inside theres no difference but from the outside u cant see in at all.

Hi All,

Looking at tinting the front windows of the Kluger to match the rears as close as possible. I rang of these tinting chains here in Melbourne to get more information. The guy was telling me that on the Kluger the rear glass is actually just coloured glass and not a tint film with no UV protection. Is this correct? Or their way of getting me to tint the whole car? Their suggestions was to put a very light tint over the rear glass and then to match it on the fronts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray.

I was going to ask the same question!

My understanding is the same as yours, as instructed by the sales rep, that the rear glass is coloured only and does not provide any heat/UV protection. If this is the case we will be looking for a clear UV film for all rear glass and a matching tint for the fronts as it looks poxy not being tinted.

Sorry, just to clarify, Ive heard that the glass itself is coloured/tinted - i.e; not a film of tint applied over the top.

Im pretty sure the tinting is to comply with Australian law BTW. We cant legally have as dark a tint on the front windows as the rest of the vehicle.

we have never been pulled over and have tinted over the privacy glass. so ours is super dark.

our kids don't get the glare like they used to and the car doesnt get that hot no more and yes our car is leather.

i just don't like people staring at me at lights. if u've had tinted windows before its weird not having them.

i dont think they would even care how dark the back windows are as long as they can see me through the front 2 windows. and cause there was no privacy glass on that its not that bad during the day i can be vaguely seen.

Car looks great.

Going 10% at the front and 20% at the rear, wouldn't the rears still be noticeably darker than the fronts?

I believe 35% is the darkest legal tint, wouldn't 10% make it really stand out?

Wonder if they every 'canary' anyone for illegal tint..

we tinted the front (clear windows) with 10% film and then we tinted over the privacy glass (the one u call coloured) 20%.

[

I was going to ask the same question!

My understanding is the same as yours, as instructed by the sales rep, that the rear glass is coloured only and does not provide any heat/UV protection. If this is the case we will be looking for a clear UV film for all rear glass and a matching tint for the fronts as it looks poxy not being tinted.

Privacy glass are 100% UV glass. Yes the glass is coloured and the advantage is that it's very less prone to scratches which no other tints can imitate. Try your freshly cut nails over privacy glass and then do the same with the best tint out there. I can guarantee that privacy glass will not scratch.

The dealers will be saying privacy glass is not UV cut to get sales of tint because they have lost a very big cash cow charging $400+ for tinting (100% markup) and then saying that it's not UV protected etc. All glass are UV cut glass in some way shape or form (even on the cheapest Yaris). You do not need to tint the rear privacy glass and yes they are legal with the addition of being able to tint the front windows with 35% tint.

Thanks er, SmellyTofu (gotta love the name!) Thats what Ive heard. My Lexus has a factory tint in the glass itself. Its really nice, you dont see it, but everything is 'less bright' inside.

• 2 weeks later...
we have never been pulled over and have tinted over the privacy glass. so ours is super dark.

So I finally got around to driving to the tint shops today to see how dark the fronts would look if they were made to match the rears. The first place I went to was a tint shop chain and the guy said a 20% film would be a close match. Didn't try to upsell me and get the whole car tinted, two fronts for $110.

The second place was a privately owned place and it was the same price. The guy was strongly against illegal tints though. He said apart from being dangerous at night, my car would be unroadworthy. I am aware that all insurance companies have a clause in their policies that state they have the right to refuse coverage if a car is not roadworthy.....something which I totally didn't think off...I was more concerned about getting pulled over by the cops.

Call me chicken, but I think I will go the legal route even if it means it does not look as nice...if I wanted a nice looking car I would have bought a CX-9 j/k (had one park next to me today...does make the Kluger look very boxy indeed...but I do enjoy the gadgets my Grande offers)

hey guys,

Let me clarify, ALL of toyota's glass include at least a 2% colour, the maximum allowed (in WA anyway) is 38%. The Privacy glass on the rear of the klugers are darker than what you can legally get tint, so they will never match unfortunately. As for the UV protection of the privacy glass, i don't think toyota would leave it completely unprotected from UV rays, i would have to double check that detail. Worst case, most tint outlets offer a clear tint for UV protection, but some outlets will not want to touch the privacy glass.

Hope this helps.

All I can say I have had all my cars tinted and any one who tints the drivers and front passengers Windows full on black to match the rear or more are DHs

Its very dangerous and may catch you out in the long run just think of the pedestrian you run down who can't see your face behind your dark shades its not poker your playing with here its peoples lifes......Something to think about, It happened to me last week and I was on foot and a car was entering a drive way at speed I could not see the drivers face or any thing for that mater you we didn't know if the prick was going to stop.

We all like a bit of privacy M_M sometimes its good to see your face don't you think? why do you think its illegal ? Do you wear your sun glasses when you get your photo for your license or equivalent?

Because you have got to be able to see the driver of an Vehicle

Thats enough from me cya

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...

in victoria at least, it is mandatory for all windows to have 35% light visibility. it is only "desirable" that driver side windows allows 70% of visible light to get in.

you can download the vicroads pdf below to find out more.

VSI2.pdf

Edited by tomasulu

All I can say I have had all my cars tinted and any one who tints the drivers and front passengers Windows full on black to match the rear or more are DHs

Its very dangerous and may catch you out in the long run just think of the pedestrian you run down who can't see your face behind your dark shades its not poker your playing with here its peoples lifes......Something to think about, It happened to me last week and I was on foot and a car was entering a drive way at speed I could not see the drivers face or any thing for that mater you we didn't know if the prick was going to stop.

We all like a bit of privacy M_M sometimes its good to see your face don't you think? why do you think its illegally? Do you wear your sun glasses when you get your photo for your license or equivalent?

Because you have got to be able to see the driver of an Vehicle

Thats enough from me cya

i don't know, i never felt the need to stare at the face of another driver to feel safe driving/crossing the roads. and it is kinda hard to do if we are talking about a semi or a... kluger. :)

I have to say, I agree with PC XT on this. I have people sail out in front of me all the time. Making (or trying to make) eye contact with the other party helps me decide in what to do next.

If someone is approaching a turn fairly fast, but they have their indicator on AND are looking at me, I feel confident to pull out in front of them.

Some people of course, just drive up the road with their indicator on... :whistling:

I have to say, I agree with PC XT on this. I have people sail out in front of me all the time. Making (or trying to make) eye contact with the other party helps me decide in what to do next.

If someone is approaching a turn fairly fast, but they have their indicator on AND are looking at me, I feel confident to pull out in front of them.

Some people of course, just drive up the road with their indicator on... :whistling:

Thanks for the back up Scott, I was just having a rant at the time and possibly a bad day to go with it!

And if we are talking about Semi's, Minni's or Klugers they all have front side windows you DH!!!! :blink: Once you Tint the side glass to deadly illegal BLACK its also lets less light into the cabin, so its impossible to see the driver through the front window as well. :ph34r: Also snippers and police cant get a clean shot

Adrian

Edited by PC XT

Thanks for the back up Scott, I was just having a rant at the time and possibly a bad day to go with it!

Thats alright Adrian, ive had plenty of those. :spiteful: :)

My worst habit is posting drunk on forums... ooh...

(Im only on my first beer right now) ;)

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any other info on dark tint and insurance?

I'm going to get 20% which is a close match to the rear privacy, but only if my insurance isn't void.

Any suggestions?

I recall on a post a few months ago someone provided the UV rating etc on each window in the Kluger. For the life of me I cant find that post. Does anyone else remember it or am I going completely nuts ? :whistling::whistling:

I think it mentioned that all windows had some level of UV block out and heat reduction.