Tinting the Kluger - Tinting vs Coloured Glass??

rzkman

I recall on a post a few months ago someone provided the UV rating etc on each window in the Kluger. For the life of me I cant find that post. Does anyone else remember it or am I going completely nuts ? :whistling::whistling:

I think it mentioned that all windows had some level of UV block out and heat reduction.

Call me boring (or get a life) but I FOUND IT

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=230227

(1) Windshield

Colour Glass : Green

Type : Laminated

UV Cut Rate : 99 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 47.8 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 78.9 %

(2) Sliding Roof

Colour Glass : Gray

Type : Tempered

UV Cut Rate : 95.4 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 18.9 %

(3) Front Door

Colour Glass : Green

UV Cut Rate : 91.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 55.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 72.8 %

(4) Rear Door Privacy

Colour Glass : Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 96.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 82.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 20.8 %

(5) Rear Quarter Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 90.2 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 23.6 %

(6) Back Door Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 95.9 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 89.6 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 11.1 %

My last car had 5% (limo) tint courtesy of the previous owner... Never again, it was downright dangerous in the dark or wet :blink:

Quite happy with the tint on the Kluger - not too heavy, not too light B)

IMGP1782Large.jpg

Edited by holmesie

• 1 month later...

Hi holmesie,

We're picking up our new Kluger Grande (Silver with beige interior) next week and want to get the windows tinted. What percentage film did you use on the front side windows and on the already coloured rear side windows? Like you we would like them to look consistent along the side of the vehicle but making sure they are legal and safe.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who to go to in the Melbourne/Mornington Peninsula area to have the film fitted?

Cheers

LC & MS

Ohh exciting week for you guys coming up :) Will try and find out what my dealer used, only the fronts were tinted as the rear privacy glass has UV protection - see this post.

Will let you know what I find out about mine.

Cheers

• 5 months later...
Will let you know what I find out about mine.

Cheers

What happened to holmesie finding out about his?

Anyway did anyone get the front windows tinted? I'm thinking to do mine if it's worth it and can be done legally and safe. Just the front windows of course.

Not sure of my logic but if above window specs are correct, front windows already 72.8% VLT and therefore if you put 50% VLT tint on it you would have a net VLT of about 36.4% (almost legal limit). This sound right?

Edited by Colonel

You do not need to tint the rear privacy glass and yes they are legal with the addition of being able to tint the front windows with 35% tint.

From my unserstanding of Qld rules there must be at least 35% light transmission even when applying tint to colored glass. Therefore since the front windows are already 72.8% the maximum tint you could put on the front is about 50%, resulting in about 36.4% light transmission (since 50% of 72.8%=36.4%). Putting 35 VLTR tint on the front windows would result in 25.5 VLTR which is illegal and possibly dangerous.

Edited by Colonel

• 3 months later...
Hi All,

Looking at tinting the front windows of the Kluger to match the rears as close as possible. I rang of these tinting chains here in Melbourne to get more information. The guy was telling me that on the Kluger the rear glass is actually just coloured glass and not a tint film with no UV protection. Is this correct? Or their way of getting me to tint the whole car? Their suggestions was to put a very light tint over the rear glass and then to match it on the fronts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray.

Hi I got my new kluger last wednesday. No need to go for whole car tinting just front will be fine , I got mine for 55$ each but choose wrong film titanium oxide best matching is carbon one.one thing i also like share 35% is legal darkest film which is lighter than other window if you chose further dark in case of event insurance wont cover you.be carefull.

Jat

thing i also like share 35% is legal darkest film which is lighter than other window if you chose further dark in case of event insurance wont cover you.be carefull.

Jat

I also got 35% (just on front windows) tho as I mentioned above it may technically still be illegal. At least according to the letter of the law. Depends on the tint specs too I guess. I assume the tint specs of 35% may actually allow for glass that is as low as about 75% transmission since all glass cuts light transmission to some small extent. So tint that quotes 35% transmission may actually be more like 45%. so that when combined with normal auto glass you get 35%.

• 3 months later...

Had my front windows tinted with 35% at one of the big chains in Melbourne.

$55 per window

They tried the line that I needed tinting all around for UV protection - but I had already read this post and knew better :P

They used a carbon based film called 'incognito' to match the privacy glass as much as possible.