2ZZ-GE Ignition question

Is there an easy way to disconnect the ignition system on a 2ZZGE so that I can make the engine turn over without the spark plugs firing?

I like to do this after an oil change so I can fill up the new filter and oil galleries before actually running the engine.

It was easy when I had 4AGE cars. They had a distributor which made it easy to unplug the central HT lead to stop the engine from firing. The 2ZZGE has several low voltage wires going to each plug. I know I can unplug each sparkplug after removing the plastic cover, but I was hoping for a simpler way to do it. Maybe removing the fuse to the EFI?

Edited by Longdan

I'm not sure what the Sportivo has, but do you have one of those chipped keys? If so, you just get a plain key cut at Mister Minit or something and use that. On the Toyota's that have the chipped key immobiliser (well my Aurion does this anyway), if you use any ordinary key without the chip, when you turn it to START, the engine just cranks but with no ignition.

No chipped key on this car. I use a copy cut from the original.

Yeah I was hoping to only have to disconnect only 1 plug, not 4, and maybe not have to take the big plastic engine cover off.

BTW - does anyone just ditch the engine cover? Or is there a good reason to keep it on?

No chipped key on this car. I use a copy cut from the original.

Yeah I was hoping to only have to disconnect only 1 plug, not 4, and maybe not have to take the big plastic engine cover off.

BTW - does anyone just ditch the engine cover? Or is there a good reason to keep it on?

mines on the book shelf :P