Help please, engine replacement or rebuild?

tiet

hey so here is the short story,

heavy rain, poor visibility, knee deep puddle of water.. few hours later towing my car home :(

well im pretty sure my cars been hydrolocked, reds come on but doesn't crank..

now my question is would it be cheaper to do a engine swap or just to rebuild the motor.

I was thinking of rebuilding the motor and upgrading some parts since its opened but im not sure what else i need to replace besides a bent rod in a hydrolock situation, does anyone have any ideas on how much i will be looking at spending.

if its a 2ZZ, then tow in drive away could be anything in $3000-$6000 depending what is found. highly unlikely its damaged the crank or head, but if the bent rods have caused bore damage, then it will definitely be at upper end of price range as a new/sleeved block is needed.

you will expect to pay at least $2000 for a wrecker engine + fitting

if you decide to go down that route, I'll be interested in buying the old damaged engine

sh!t aye Anthony... ive seen rods bend, snap, then spin and hit the side of the block, cracking the block. best off getting a motor with low k's from the wreckers i reckon, while its out i spose u can get lighten flywheel, HD clutch aswell...

hmmm i see lol well when i get a chance im going to see how much damage it is, depending on that ill decide if ill just go for a new used motor or just a rebuild.

hmmm does anyone know how much roughly a wrecker motor would be?

hmmm i see lol well when i get a chance im going to see how much damage it is, depending on that ill decide if ill just go for a new used motor or just a rebuild.

Refer to TerryO's post

Refer to TerryO's post

lol yeah i meant to ask the most i would spend on wrecker plus fitted

Refer to TerryO's post

i reckon it would be fun doing a motor :P

Refer to TerryO's post

i reckon it would be fun doing a motor :P

lol ill bring it around to your shop!

hmm what a project... motor + box out as one... seperate box n motor, s/f light flywheel, hd clutch, refit box to new motor. change oil + filter, change g/b oil, supply new coolant. blueslip for new motor number... fun i reckon, plus the little bits and peices along the way, incase u find something, ie worn engine mounts, oil leak on new motor, etcetc, water pump? so much to thinkkkkk

hey so here is the short story,

heavy rain, poor visibility, knee deep puddle of water.. few hours later towing my car home :(

well im pretty sure my cars been hydrolocked, reds come on but doesn't crank..

now my question is would it be cheaper to do a engine swap or just to rebuild the motor.

I was thinking of rebuilding the motor and upgrading some parts since its opened but im not sure what else i need to replace besides a bent rod in a hydrolock situation, does anyone have any ideas on how much i will be looking at spending.

did you try removing the spark plugs and then cranking to get the water out put fresh oil in replace spark plugs and try and start

hmm what a project... motor + box out as one... seperate box n motor, s/f light flywheel, hd clutch, refit box to new motor. change oil + filter, change g/b oil, supply new coolant. blueslip for new motor number... fun i reckon, plus the little bits and peices along the way, incase u find something, ie worn engine mounts, oil leak on new motor, etcetc, water pump? so much to thinkkkkk

not to mention pricey too .. :whistling: