mounts split, for the 3rd time

as the topic states, my front engine mount for my rolla sportivo, has split, now just b4 my gearbox blew, i replaced the front mount, that night, BAM, gearbox went, now 3 weeks after i get it back on the rd, the new mount splits, so i get that replaced under parts warranty, so im on my 3rd mount, and i only replaced it in august.. i replaced both front AND back! only front is giving me greaf, so now im my garage i got a split mount

as some know i dont have a licence so car doesnt get driven much, only weekends..

so Q is, why does it keep splittin? should i shuv a mount insert in it or what? MWR has it for $27, but $54 postage !

answers much appreciated :)

Edited by 123R-Prozak

You should be able to find a guy on ebay that sells the energy suspension range. That's where I got mine for about 50-60 bucks shipped. If you don't wanna increase NVH too much, just install the front insert.

I'd be looking into why they keep splitting. Are all the other mounts still good? To be breaking them so fast something has to be wrong somewhere, or they are misdiagnosed. Putting something stiffer in might result in breaking the next week link in the chain.

Those energy mount inserts are the most discgracefull thing ive ever fitted to a car.. that said if you didn;t drive it daily etc and it was a dedicated track car they would be ok

also make sure its getting fitted the correct direction... it will split pretty quickly if its in back to front, i think from memory there is a little metal piece on top and it should be facing towards the radiator not the gearbox

The rear mount on a sportivo only goes one way...

yeh we know rear mount was easy actually, pulled it out from the top.

were talking about the front, x2 14mm bolts that go from under the cross member, and the ( from memory ) 17mm bolt n nut that goes through the mount to the bracket, and the 14mm bolts that go from the bracked to the gearbox..

also, why would it matter which way it goes? it seems to be the same both ways...

The rear mount on a sportivo only goes one way...

yeh we know rear mount was easy actually, pulled it out from the top.

were talking about the front, x2 14mm bolts that go from under the cross member, and the ( from memory ) 17mm bolt n nut that goes through the mount to the bracket, and the 14mm bolts that go from the bracked to the gearbox..

also, why would it matter which way it goes? it seems to be the same both ways...

yea it has to go the correct direction, if you look at the rubber piece in the middle where it joins the outside it isnt vertical or horizontal its in between so it points a different direction depending on which way you have the mount, so when the front mount is installed you want the rubber at the top of the mount to be pointing towards the engine and at the bottom it should be pointing away from the engine if u get what im saying, otherwise under the force of engine movement it will rip the mount instead of dampening when your driving,

do any of you know about sikaflex

the black stuff is 100% polyurethane

you get it at bunnings

all my front and rear mounts used to break often until

I filled them in with sikaflex so they were solid

Edited by dirty hands

If you're looking for mounts that are guaranteed of lasting a lont time, I'd recommend the C-ONE engine mounts as they are solid rubber-filled mounts. They do increase the NVH slightly but they are worth the money spent, in my opinion.

I agree you need to find the cause which is most likely poor mount alignment or wrong fitting. in my own Sportivo, i've replaced the front mount once and that fixed it. no signs of further issues.

i work at road and track and they sell uprated rubber mounts for all sorts of toyotas. from personal experience, the poly inserts etc are hopeless in a road car, as they transmit far too much NVH.

I have tried the Sikaflex with limited success. they dont make a suitable product that is anywhere near as hard as the genuine (soft) rubber.

Most of the readily available Sika range is too soft. I used polyurethane windscreen sealant instead on the mounts on my rally as it sets quickly and is alot harder than Sika Pro etc. Still good 18 months of rallying down the track.

Q. How can it be 'misaligned' ? All mounts only bolt into 1 position and brackets to the motor etc

Q. So best go genuine... ? Can't believe I still fix this car even tho I never drive the thing

the front mount bracket on the zze123 and 122 has a slotted section where your main mount bolt goes through the bracket so you can align it to a bit more push or pull load on the engine.

Q. How can it be 'misaligned' ? All mounts only bolt into 1 position and brackets to the motor etc

Q. So best go genuine... ? Can't believe I still fix this car even tho I never drive the thing

the front mount bracket on the zze123 and 122 has a slotted section where your main mount bolt goes through the bracket so you can align it to a bit more push or pull load on the engine.

when i put it in, i didnt have the motor jacked or anything, the bolt just went through, so thats where it was bolted.