Replace Struts/Shockers on a 1991 Corolla Hatch

Hi All.

My 1991 corolla is handling poorly and the shockers are to blame, plus the steering rack, but that is another story.

I am going to refit them with my brother, but as I have never done this before, I was wondering if there are any special tools required to do this change over.

I would source a SR manual, but the one I ordered from Ebay hasn't arrived yet and I searched the TOC forum for a similar topic but to no avail.

My mate a while back replaced all four struts on his Camry which required a spring compressor, a special tool which held the spring in a shortened position until the exchange was complete. That was a much larger vehicle, however my Corolla hatch is much smaller in comparison.

I know that a tension/torque wrench is an in valuable tool for this job, but unsure if the spring compressor is...

Also I was wondering if a special tool was needed to hold the chromed shaft of the strut whilst tightening of nyloc nut on the top of the strut?

I would think there would be, because if vise grips were used these would score the functional part of the shaft, which travels into the cylinder, destroying the strut cylinder seals in short succession.

I appreciate your input.

DMC

you WILL need compressors as the stock springs sit in the strut with a great deal of load on them as they are compressed to be installed. Undoing the shaft without the compressors is really dangerous... the bloke that taught me about my suspension and how to change bits and bobs broke 4 ribs as a result of trying to get by without the spring compressors.

It's a very easy job but you will find trouble when trying to remove the strut shaft nuts.. if you do get them undone you will need to take them to someone with a rattle gun so that they are nice and tight. removal of the entire unit is very simple:

Front: 3 X Strut top bolts at 12mm a side

2 X 19mm Nuts and Bolts on the hub knuckle

1 X Brakeline each side (usually i just hacksaw a small groove into the housing the brake line goes through otherwise you will need to disconnect the line and bleed the brake system)

Rear: 3 X Strut top bolts at 12mm a side

2 X 17mm 19mm Nuts and Bolts on the hub knuckle

1 X Swaybar link each side at 14mm with an alen key in the centre (rattle gun works very well here and you won't require an alen key)

A breaker bar may also be helpfull on the hub knuckle bolts as they can be very tight.

Pending on how much work you do at home on the car it may justify the purchase of compressors ( Super Cheap Auto $30.00 ) and also an air compressor with a gun ( Super Cheap again and i think on special for less than $150.00 ) but it all pends how often you would use it.

Hope this helps

correct, you need spring compressors to compress the springs to remove top strut mount bolt at the top of the strut. u can prob get a ratchet or breaker bar onto it, BUT u will spin the strut shaft in the process, its why as stated above u need a rattle gun !

I had a spare gun at work, and while doing jobs at home i found it was time i got a compressor, super cheap, $119 i paid, 2.5HP, does the job nicely. !

correct, you need spring compressors to compress the springs to remove top strut mount bolt at the top of the strut. u can prob get a ratchet or breaker bar onto it, BUT u will spin the strut shaft in the process, its why as stated above u need a rattle gun !

I had a spare gun at work, and while doing jobs at home i found it was time i got a compressor, super cheap, $119 i paid, 2.5HP, does the job nicely. !

Doing the strut nut up whilst the strut is in the car makes it a lot easier (and less likely to rotate the shaft too as it should key into the strut top).

you don't *need* a rattle gun, but Jesus fucking Christ it makes life easy...

you WILL need compressors as the stock springs sit in the strut with a great deal of load on them as they are compressed to be installed. Undoing the shaft without the compressors is really dangerous... the bloke that taught me about my suspension and how to change bits and bobs broke 4 ribs as a result of trying to get by without the spring compressors.

It's a very easy job but you will find trouble when trying to remove the strut shaft nuts.. if you do get them undone you will need to take them to someone with a rattle gun so that they are nice and tight. removal of the entire unit is very simple:

Front: 3 X Strut top bolts at 12mm a side

2 X 19mm Nuts and Bolts on the hub knuckle

1 X Brakeline each side (usually i just hacksaw a small groove into the housing the brake line goes through otherwise you will need to disconnect the line and bleed the brake system)

Rear: 3 X Strut top bolts at 12mm a side

2 X 17mm 19mm Nuts and Bolts on the hub knuckle

1 X Swaybar link each side at 14mm with an alen key in the centre (rattle gun works very well here and you won't require an alen key)

A breaker bar may also be helpfull on the hub knuckle bolts as they can be very tight.

Pending on how much work you do at home on the car it may justify the purchase of compressors ( Super Cheap Auto $30.00 ) and also an air compressor with a gun ( Super Cheap again and i think on special for less than $150.00 ) but it all pends how often you would use it.

Hope this helps

Broke 4 RIBS! ouche

Should I replace the springs as well? I was thinking I should but only for a better grade of spring...