Bluetooth Issues

Tubby

G'day All

Recently purchased a Telstra Explorer mobile and it seems that the bluetooth feature in my Sahara (2007) won't accept incoming calls with this mobile linked to it.

If a call is made to the handset it will register on the handset but not on the nav. screen until some ten seconds later at which point a half a ring tone is heard followed by disconnection and a message which states that the call has been disconnected by the network.

However, one can ring out through the bluetooth connection, no problem.

There is also no battery or signal indication on the nav. screen however the bluetooth icon indicates a good connection.

If I connect my wife's mobile thru the bluetooth feature there are no problems, even all the indicators mentioned above are present.

I might add that my phone has bluetooth version 2.0 and my wife's 1.2 with the vehicle running v1.0 so that may have something to do with it.

I'm also aware that some phones are not compatible with the system so that could also be the issue.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Tubby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know exactly about your problem. ( I was the one writing this article).

As you mentioned there are different standards when it comes to Bluetooth and it appears most Toyota Radios run on v.1.0 or 1.2 but not on 2.0 like some late model mobile phones do. In theory that should mean that just some functions like access to phone book doesn't work, but the rest still should work (at least that is what most manufacturers will tell you).

However, the Bluetooth standard is very "soft" and a lot of options are left to the individual manufcturers to decide how they want to use it. (no legal requirement to stick with one system only) This explains why some phones work, and other makes don't.

Another thing is that some manufactures don't bother making use of all the functions. Most likely a cost saving or copyright issue.

But the interesting thing is, as I mentioned in a previous entry, if you happen to buy a third party radio with as many bluetooth functions as possible, then strangly enough the radio seems to work with all kind of mobile phones!

Just as an example, I have tested 5 different mobile phones on my original Toyota Radio, all had different results and 2 wouldn't work with the radio at all. But on the other hand my $175.- 7" screen touch control radio I bought to replace my Toyota radio with, seems to work with all mobile phones I have tested so far. Further more I have more functions and it is much easier to use than the original radio! :yahoo:

Go figure that . :idea:

Hope this is of help.

Karl

G'day Karl

Many thanks for your response.

I guess it's something I'll just have to live with, although, are you saying that the nav system in the Sahara can be replaced with a non-genuine article?

Regards

Tubby

Hello again,

yes, as mentioned in my entry about Bluetooth problems (same page, just further down), I did remove my original Toyota Radio and replaced it with a third party Radio. This was triggered by the Bluetooth system not working as it supposed to and Toyota keeping me waiting for 4 months for a new radio, only to discover that the new model also didn't work as expected.

The one I bought was $ 175.- and has everything I need in a car stereo. I didn't want GPS, but for about $259.- the same kind of car stereo is available with GPS ! And as mentioned, the Bluetooth system does actually work in it (of course everything else as well) !

Just need someone able to wire it up to your Toyota car wiring. ( I did it myself, installed many radios over the years).

Here is an example of such radio:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TD712G-7-CAR-GPS-2-DIN-Stereo-Radio-DVD-PLAYER-iPod-TV-/120593740385?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c13f27261

Regards

Karl