Buying personlised # plates from interstate

Hey fellas

Was just curious, am i able to buy personalised number plates in a different state (for example sydney or qld) and use them in my home state (melbourne) and what are the complications (if any) of doing such thing? Reason why i ask is the combination i want is available in a different state, but not available here in melbourne.

But cant you have 2 of the same plate, but under a different state? Is this a loophole which im really hoping for.

What happens if by chance, the person with the same plate comes and lives in melbourne? surely they wouldnt make you buy new plates. Ive seen qld customised number plates driving around in melbourne. hmmm

Edited by private number

They need to be tied to the appropriate registration. That means QLD plates can be attached to a QLD registration, VIC to VIC, etc. Unfortunately, you can't simply swap your registration to another state as well unless you can prove you live there.

You can however purchase plates from another state and keep them for display, but not attached to a vehicle.

The loop hole for it is for example you have family in sydney put your car's address there in one of there name people you can trust, i did it my previous car i bought it from queensland and instead of changing registration and queenslands rego is more cheaper i kept in my grandmothers name but drove it in sydney. If you cant do that you have to prove your living there which isnt really worth it. considering your mail and all is going to be into that state.