Door Courtesy Lights

Steven

Up till now I've been running those ebay T10 Led globes in my doors as an upgrade from the standard filament bulb when I saw some complete LED courtesy light assemblies come up on Ebay. Link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Camry-Hybrid-Aurion-Corrolla-TOYOTA-LED-Courtesy-lights-/270714319616?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f07d4b300

Anyhow I ordered 2 pairs and they arrived the other day. A complete breakdown of these lights is that they come with a built in heatsink, voltage regulator and are direct plug and play. The bad news is that it's just a 12v regulator which protects from voltage spikes however does nothing to fix the "flickering" often observed when changing the door lights to LEDs. My T10s had it, and as these new lights are more powerful (and cast a very nice, warm white light) the flickering is more noticeable. Further the laser cut light diffuser does not fit the door trims anywhere near as good as the standard diffusers.

Good news is that both of these problems can be fixed. The LEDs can be separated from the diffuser, which allows the regulator to be desoldered and replaced with a more suitable 10 or 11v unit. This will result in slightly dimmer lights but worth it in my opinion to prevent the flickering. Further, I was able to fairly easily swap the new diffuser for my stock one which only required modding the stock diffuser and LED assembly VERY slightly.

I didn't change the regulators, but I did swap the diffusers. Better comparison in car pics to come tomorrow when ambient light is better.

In the end though I do believe these are slightly overpriced, but still far better than my T10s were.

post-13080-0-20478500-1300532901_thumb.j

post-13080-0-40723000-1300532914_thumb.j

post-13080-0-53721800-1300532921_thumb.j

And here are the 2 different versions installed. You can see my modified stock version fits perfectly whilst the aftermarket diffusers fit is a bit second rate.

Hope this helps!

post-13080-0-50103900-1300574548_thumb.j

post-13080-0-98429100-1300574554_thumb.j