HID lights randomly failing

MY 2007 Toyota Aurion Pesara's HID lights ramdomly shut down but when I turn the lights back on they work again for awhile.

Are any of you aware of this issue?

Below is an You tube video that shows an American Prius having the same issue.

Also I used a website "Just Answer" to try and find out what was up and got the reply below:

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. This is a very common problem on all Toyotas with the HID lights. The problem was in the manufavturing of the HID bulbs. Toyota issued a reduced price on these bulbs to help correct the conditon but please stay tuned and keep your reciept because might issue a recall due to this.

This article talks about this for the Prius...

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/06/30/toyota-stung-by-possible-prius-hid-headlight-defect/

Sounds like a plausible issue. If the lamp had a manufacturing defect (all it takes is the electrode gap to be slightly larger than it should), a large enough jolt (easy to happen while driving) can cause the arc to extinguish. Ever gone around kicking street lights? Same concept.

Sounds like a plausible issue. If the lamp had a manufacturing defect (all it takes is the electrode gap to be slightly larger than it should), a large enough jolt (easy to happen while driving) can cause the arc to extinguish. Ever gone around kicking street lights? Same concept.

lol sorry off topic but made me think of younger times lol

Could be it as it seems to happen more on local streets with lots of turns and speed bumps then on highway.

I will see what Toyota has to say as I have booked it in for this Friday - they did note that mine is not the first and that Toyota Australia has been coming to the party to assist with expense. as cost for each bulb is around $500 plus install.