Rear end thud?

idisc

Hi,

I've noticed this in my Kluger for a while now but all along I just thought it was something I had in the boot, now I'm sure it isn't.

Anyway, the car is a 2010 AWD and it's done around 5000km.

If I wind the windows up and accelerate slightly harder than normal from a stop I can hear a soft thudding sound coming from the rear. It's a muffled sound so it's not actually coming from within the cabin.

One good way to make it thud is if I were stopped at a traffic light on an uphill incline. To move off I would have to step on the accelerator slightly more than normal; I can hear a thud on takeoff in these circumstances.

It sounds like it could be drivetrain related, or (I'm hoping) maybe the spare wheel is loose.

Anyone notice this in their Klugers too?

Hi,

I've noticed this in my Kluger for a while now but all along I just thought it was something I had in the boot, now I'm sure it isn't.

Anyway, the car is a 2010 AWD and it's done around 5000km.

If I wind the windows up and accelerate slightly harder than normal from a stop I can hear a soft thudding sound coming from the rear. It's a muffled sound so it's not actually coming from within the cabin.

One good way to make it thud is if I were stopped at a traffic light on an uphill incline. To move off I would have to step on the accelerator slightly more than normal; I can hear a thud on takeoff in these circumstances.

It sounds like it could be drivetrain related, or (I'm hoping) maybe the spare wheel is loose.

Anyone notice this in their Klugers too?

My 2007 has done it since new. Reported it at each service, and they just put it down to the way the diffs work. Mine does it a fair bit accelerating on light throttle openings from a rolling start.

thanks, I suspected it was a diff. I will report it when the car goes in next just so they have a record of it incase it turns out to be something more sinister.

I am wondering whether it may be something to do with the traction control. (If they are fitted on the Kluger) I was told by a mechanic that late model RWD vehicles use the rear brakes to modulate the trac control. Under moderate to heavy acceleration on wet roads my BF Falcon seems to get what feels like a slight shudder and a barely audible thudding from the rear. It doesn't do it with the Traction control switched off but that just makes driving heaps more fun even though my better half disapproves of the sideways action at the lights.

While the Kluger does have traction control, in my case it wouldn't be the cause as it makes the noise without any loss of traction (and hence traction control shouldn't be activating at all).

i had similar on my falcon, they replaced a whole bunch of stuff, discovered the centre bearing was stuffed, changed that, problem went away and came back quickly.

last service raised it again - engine mounts were cracked!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2009 AWD has this problem since early this year. I took her to Toyata service three weeks but they found nothing. The mechanic tested the car with me seating in side and drove arocess a number of streets in low speed, no noise came out for the whole duration. I could not work out how to make the noice appear. It just happens while driving, in all sort of conditions.

Quality has definately slipped somewhat at Toyota it seems. Little things such as this (and the cold weather dash rattles as another example) definately sour the ownership experience.

Plenty of other manufacturers have their issues, just Toyota were once so good quality wise it was very noticeable against other manufacturers. Maybe everyone else is just catching up?

Still over the years we have owned ours it has never let my family down by not starting or breaking down. That counts for alot!

Hopefully more quality control issues don't rear their ugly head in years to come.