How long does a tank of petrol last you?

Hey everyone, i just got myself a 2000 Toyota Celica 7th generation SX GT and was wondering how long tank should last me. I have filled up twice now, full tank which is about 55 litres and it only seems to last me 450km. I don't know why i use up it up so fast, i drive mainly to university on a 70-80 km/hr road with quite a lot of stop and start.

It says i have to use premium unleaded petrol only, what will happen if i put 95 unleaded?

Any advice, thanks for reading.

A 2000 Celica uses 9/L / 100km in the city.

And that is the best the manufacture could achieve.

You will have many other factors that could push this well over 10L / 100km in the city.

Whereas on the highway you may be looking at say 6L / 100km

Basically any city driving will make a mess of your fuel economy simply because of the continual stop starting and the effort required to get the car up to speed each time you stop.

Theres some simple things you can check/do such as:

- New Air Filter or clean the one you have

- Clean Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)

- New oil and filter

- New plugs/leads (plugs may be wet? indicate running rich)

- Install a Cold Air Intake

- Clean the throttle body

- Clean the fuel injectors

A simple search will tell you pretty much all you need to know about the things in that list and how to do them

Those are some things that I would be looking at first mate,

And trust me I know how your feeling it sucks seeing money go down the drain.

But that comes with driving in the city,

Just be thankful your not filling up a landcruiser, my mates is $180 to fill from empty haha :blink:

Cheers

The stop and starting certainly doesnt help, constantly using your throttle will burn a lot more fuel as compared to highway driving. Do trip that is mainly highway driving and see what you get, you'd be surprised. I'd keep using 98 octane premium fuel as it will help clean and protect your engine while giving the most power output.

Like previously said, do your regular maintenance checks, air filter/oil/oil filter. All the little things do count in the end. And also if you have a heavy right foot

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone, i will go check all the things you rollinrolla this weekend when i have some spare time. I might try drive at a later time to avoid the heavy traffic in the morning. I guess i should keep using the 98 octane, it is only a few dollars extra. Thanks again guys, this has really helped

You can try 95 unleaded if the handbook does not say you must use 98 octane, but keep your ears open for signs of detonation/pinging. High compression engines need high octane fuel to run well, some will get away with 95 , which is still considered premium fuel, but others must use 98 or they experience pinging/detonation.

But if you can afford to run 98, stay with it, going to 95 may reduce power by a tiny bit, and if you been running 98 for ages, the ECU is used to that fuel and adjusts the air/fuel ratios to suit.

And you say a full tank is 55L, is that the actual tank size or what you fill into the tank at the petrol station? If its the actual tank size, you want to see how much fuel you actually get into the tank when you fill up, then use that figure to calculate your economy.

You can try 95 unleaded if the handbook does not say you must use 98 octane, but keep your ears open for signs of detonation/pinging. High compression engines need high octane fuel to run well, some will get away with 95 , which is still considered premium fuel, but others must use 98 or they experience pinging/detonation.

But if you can afford to run 98, stay with it, going to 95 may reduce power by a tiny bit, and if you been running 98 for ages, the ECU is used to that fuel and adjusts the air/fuel ratios to suit.

And you say a full tank is 55L, is that the actual tank size or what you fill into the tank at the petrol station? If its the actual tank size, you want to see how much fuel you actually get into the tank when you fill up, then use that figure to calculate your economy.

Well the thing is, i think the previous owners might have used 95 since when i turned on the engine quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust pipe and since i have used only 98, smoke doesnt come out anymore. 55l is what the book says but i don't know the actual tank size since i never am empty. i poured 37l last night which got me a bit over 3/4.

I use 91 cause im a cheap ****. I only go to school and back which means im constantly under heavy acceleration because of the frequent sets of lights. I get around 500kms to a tank with a 50L tank.

Well the thing is, i think the previous owners might have used 95 since when i turned on the engine quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust pipe and since i have used only 98, smoke doesnt come out anymore. 55l is what the book says but i don't know the actual tank size since i never am empty. i poured 37l last night which got me a bit over 3/4.

What colour was the smoke? Only black smoke is related to fuel (running rich) if I'm not mistaken. If the smoke was a different colour then it is probably an unrelated matter.

55L is the actual tank size if that's the figure stated in the owners handbook. How many km did you get out of that 37L?

Also, did you get around to inspecting/replacing items as others in this topic have suggested? A car which is overdue for a service may suffer poor fuel economy.