Cranking Noise

Hey guys

i'm an owner of a 04 corolla sportivo and never had a problem with it. However its been about a year and a half since ive had it and recently when i start the car it makes this high pitched cranking noise. This noise sort of sounds like when you crunch your gears but with a higher pitch. Could anyone please tell me why this happens and if there are any ways to solve this problem

thanks

it sounds as though the gear in the starter motor is going, or not engaging properly. is it only while you are starting up the engine (ie. cranking) or does it occur while the engine is idling?

It generally happens when i start up on colder mornings or when I've had a rough night with the car. If it is my starter motor would there be anyway I could fix it or....? And would this do any damage to my engine?

Thanks

Remove the starter motor and check the teeth on it. Whilst it's out check the ring gear teeth on the flywheel. From what you are describing it sounds like a mechanical issue not electrical.

Edited by trentmeyer23

Generally the pinion on a starter is much harder than the ring gear. Thus it is more usual to have a damaged ring gear than a damaged starter pinion. Once the starter is out you will need to inspect the full circle of the ring gear. A 4 cylinder motor usually stops in one of two possible positions. A 6 cylinder will stop at 1 of 3 spots so you will need to turn the motor over to check the full face of it.

The picture gives a really good example of both a new and a stuffed ring gear set.

I hope this is useful.

P.S. They don't all need to look as bad as this to to have a meshing issue

post-22494-0-79434600-1309437055_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My 03 sportivo is making the same screeching noise on cold start-ups,

and upon searching more about this I came across

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t23347.html

In the previous topic it says its a common occurence for ZRE Corolla's and

members have suggested spraying 'CRC Belt Grip spray' and replacing the belt.

Wondering if other members with the stivo came across this nuisance/problem?