caliper mount for 325mm rotor

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried upgrade standard aurion disc rotor to 325mm rotor with extent caliper mounting

End of last year, i went oversea to taiwan, found this 325mm rotor and caliper mounting upgrade kits for camery 3.5l, without too much research. I brought the system. Later found out camery3.5 caliper in taiwandoesn't use the same caplier as aurion, instead it uses the same as camery 2.4 in australia. Therefore the mount wont fit on aurion caliper. Is there anyone know places that can do me custom made a caliper mount for 325mm rotor or anyone know easy solutions.

I felt like an idiot bring back 20kg of metal that doesnt fit.

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried upgrade standard aurion disc rotor to 325mm rotor with extent caliper mounting

End of last year, i went oversea to taiwan, found this 325mm rotor and caliper mounting upgrade kits for camery 3.5l, without too much research. I brought the system. Later found out camery3.5 caliper in taiwandoesn't use the same caplier as aurion, instead it uses the same as camery 2.4 in australia. Therefore the mount wont fit on aurion caliper. Is there anyone know places that can do me custom made a caliper mount for 325mm rotor or anyone know easy solutions.

I felt like an idiot bring back 20kg of metal that doesnt fit.

The Australian 4 cylinder Camry uses the same brake caliper as the Aurion, as they're both sourced locally from PBR. Due to the design of our calipers, you can only relocate them if you were to upsize to a greater than 335mm rotor.

I'm in the middle of a rotor upsize with a relocation bracket, to a 320mm rotor (or 323mm will fit too) using the Gen 3 Camry twin piston caliper. This is virtually your only option here with locally available parts.

Your rotor and bracket MIGHT suit the twin piston caliper however it's impossible to tell without seeing it in person. At this time though that rotor is only useful if you go the twin piston option (or import a set of calipers from taiwan)

The caliper mounting brackets (and mounting points) are the same on the Gen3/4/5/6 Camry (regardless of engine) and also the Aurion here in Aus.

Are you saying the mounting bracket on the kit you bought from Taiwan doesn't fit; or the caliper part?

Hi Guys thanks for the fast reply, I have attached an image of my rotor and bracket mount.

from my searches the brake pad come with the kit doesn't not look the same as aurion, it more look like the brake pad on camery.

From Bendix Catalogue website.

Model Year Model Variant Front Rear Park

Aurion 2006 - NOW GSV40R 3.5 V6 (Aust) PBR Caliper DB1474

Aurion 2006 - NOW ACV40R 2.4 (SE.Asia) Akebono Caliper DB1800

From the image on the website, it shows my bracket mount and brake pad are design for Alebone Caliper.

post-15499-0-76177000-1309656177_thumb.j

The caliper mounting brackets (and mounting points) are the same on the Gen3/4/5/6 Camry (regardless of engine) and also the Aurion here in Aus.

Are you saying the mounting bracket on the kit you bought from Taiwan doesn't fit; or the caliper part?

This is what it looks like when it I fit the kit on the aurion. It doesn't look right to me and I think it's because the brake pad is not design for this caliper, it looks the caliper is only holding half of the brake pad.

post-15499-0-18174900-1309657693_thumb.j

post-15499-0-95484300-1309657797_thumb.j

The American Camry (both variants) and the Asian Aurion do indeed have a different brake pad design to the Australian Camry/Aurion. This then results in the piston assembly being a different shape.

If you want your kit to fit correctly, you need to obtain the piston assembly part of the calliper from either the States or Asia. You are pretty much set after that. No need to have new brackets made up.

Interesting. If you don't mind me asking how much did this kit set you back?

You might be able to source some Akebono calipers from ebay to suit those brackets, though postage might be a bitch considering the weight of them

You might be able to source some Akebono calipers from ebay to suit those brackets, though postage might be a bitch considering the weight of them

I believe that the Akebono calipers are inferior to the PBR made calipers on the AU Camrys.

I believe that the Akebono calipers are inferior to the PBR made calipers on the AU Camrys.

Well the OP doesn't really have much option otherwise.

Sell the kit to Adam and go TRD instead! :lol:

I was doing a bit of research Steve. That F-2 at the end of the rotor doesn't seem like it will be of relevance to you. It appears there are two types of rotors they offer. One has F-2 and the other has F-6. The former is a 26mm thick rotor whereas the latter is a 30mm.

I was doing a bit of research Steve. That F-2 at the end of the rotor doesn't seem like it will be of relevance to you. It appears there are two types of rotors they offer. One has F-2 and the other has F-6. The former is a 26mm thick rotor whereas the latter is a 30mm.

Yes I just did a quick search as well, very hard to understand the Taiwan web pages even with translator however you're spot on it seems like it's just a 26mm rotor.

Andrew357 - True the Akebono calipers seem much smaller and not as well made as the PBR ones.

I'm interested actually to see whether this mob makes a rear upgrade kit, even if it is just a caliper relocating set up.

This kit cost me around AUD$500.

Sell the kit to Adam and go TRD instead! :lol:

I'm happy to sell it at my original purchase price if anyone want it.

Yes I just did a quick search as well, very hard to understand the Taiwan web pages even with translator however you're spot on it seems like it's just a 26mm rotor.

Andrew357 - True the Akebono calipers seem much smaller and not as well made as the PBR ones.

I'm interested actually to see whether this mob makes a rear upgrade kit, even if it is just a caliper relocating set up.

Thanks to everyone that gave me such a good information and advice. it looks like my only option is get an akebone caliper on to my aurion.

Steve,

I think from memory, when I purchase front setup, they did said they have rear caliper relocating kit. but I was told because it's front wheel drive, there is not much improvement from the rear kit. but again don't know if the calipers are the same as australia aurion.

The biggest bonus if they have a rear kit is a larger rotor that suits the handbrake set up on the Camry/Aurion (which is the same regardless of country).

The rear brake doesn't do much true but it does pull it's weight in the TRDs. Further a larger rotor on the rear would contribute to better overall braking as it appears the Camry/Aurion brakes are front biased from factory.

At the same time though I wonder just how much bigger rotor you can go in the back brakes considering they're only 10mm unvented. Seems like a recipe for warping if you go much larger. I think I'll drop them a line.