ZRE Questions from a newbie

G'day all,

Once again I find myself behind the wheel of a Corolla. My last foray into Corolla's was a 5-speed KE55 with a Borg Warner 4:11 and a twin-throat carby.

I've since had a 5 year Hiatus, owning a series of AU Falcons. I'm a big poster over on the ford forums, and I know nearly every nut and bolt of the AU falcons, as I was a taxi mechanic back when AUs were modern.

Now I've bought myself and my wife a ZRE152R Conquest Sedan. 45k on the clock, Shimmer blue, Automagic. A very nice car.

However, I have a number of questions.

1. How do you check the power steer fluid levels? I've taken the turtle-shell off the motor, and I can't see it. Maybe i'm blind. I can find the Engine Oil dipstick, ATF dipstick, Coolant header tank, Washer bottle, brake master cylinder, but I can't seem to see the power steer reservoir.

2. The fusebox - is that entirely under the bonnet? In what I would call the relay box?

3. Speakers - 6" in the front, 6x9" in the rear?

4. Is there any easy way to modify/edit the interior electronics behavior? Just for little things, like making the electric windows stay live EVEN THOUGH I'VE ONLY OPENED THE DOOR or having the cruise system stay on even though i've only turned the car off for 5 mins.

5. Apart from not driving it like a throttle jockey, driving it like you stole it, or simply not enjoying not having seen 6200rpm for years and years, is there any way to improve the fuel economy? Do headers or a K&N air filter help on these? Or is the ECU too smart to be tricked by such feeble upgrades?

post-16548-0-50608800-1312074476_thumb.j

post-16548-0-90158200-1312074497_thumb.j

1. How do you check the power steer fluid levels? I've taken the turtle-shell off the motor, and I can't see it. Maybe i'm blind. I can find the Engine Oil dipstick, ATF dipstick, Coolant header tank, Washer bottle, brake master cylinder, but I can't seem to see the power steer reservoir.

It is probably because the corolla has electric assisted steering, now power steering fluid required

2. The fusebox - is that entirely under the bonnet? In what I would call the relay box?

Some fuses are there, others should be in the internal fusebox (probably under the glove box, not 100% sure for ZRE's)

not sure tbh

4. Is there any easy way to modify/edit the interior electronics behavior? Just for little things, like making the electric windows stay live EVEN THOUGH I'VE ONLY OPENED THE DOOR or having the cruise system stay on even though i've only turned the car off for 5 mins.

You would need an aftermarket system to do this. Either an alarm with such features, or a circuit you design yourself. Neither is 'easy'

5. Apart from not driving it like a throttle jockey, driving it like you stole it, or simply not enjoying not having seen 6200rpm for years and years, is there any way to improve the fuel economy? Do headers or a K&N air filter help on these? Or is the ECU too smart to be tricked by such feeble upgrades?

If you make the engine breathe more efficiently, it will be more fuel efficient (providing you don't drive it like you stole it)

If you make the engine breathe more efficiently, it will be more fuel efficient (providing you don't drive it like you stole it)

by how much would the economy increase ?

ive been meaning to ask this but i keep forgetting xP

*sorry for being off topic*

because atm im getting 11L/100km on the camry, i think this is a lot fora 4cyl, and i granny drive like all the time, i dont even get past 3000rpm.

edit: is it because its an auto ?

Edited by jeffy

G'day all,

Once again I find myself behind the wheel of a Corolla. My last foray into Corolla's was a 5-speed KE55 with a Borg Warner 4:11 and a twin-throat carby.

I've since had a 5 year Hiatus, owning a series of AU Falcons. I'm a big poster over on the ford forums, and I know nearly every nut and bolt of the AU falcons, as I was a taxi mechanic back when AUs were modern.

Now I've bought myself and my wife a ZRE152R Conquest Sedan. 45k on the clock, Shimmer blue, Automagic. A very nice car.

1. as said before but also note the clutch flid is shared witht he brake fluid.

2. Have not seen any fuse box's under the dash unless ive overlooked them. I beleive the only box is in the engine bay. My dash is almost completly stripped at the moment.

3. yes with the splitters and yes

4. no

5. My manual turbo is great on fuel, was also great stock got over 700km on the freeway to qld in 6th on cruise with a/c running. if you want better by a yaris or some 3 cylinder.

G'day all,

1. as said before, but also note the clutch fluid is shared with the brake fluid.

2. Have not seen any fuse box's under the dash unless ive overlooked them. I beleive the only box is in the engine bay. My dash is almost completly stripped at the moment.

3. yes with the splitters out front and yes

4. no

5. My manual turbo is great on fuel, was also great stock, got over 700km on the freeway to qld in 6th on cruise with a/c running. if you want better buy a yaris or some 3 cylinder.

maybe i should have read that post before adding my reply. sorry for typo's.

1. Yes, it is electric assisted steering. Best way to tell, purposely start the car, stall it. Your steering should still be powered.

2. There are 2 fuse boxes. One in the engine bay and one under/behind the glove box.

3. Ive got no idea about the speakers

4. Ive got no idea

5. Yes, unless you thrash its nuts off.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...