100,000Kms - Service

hey all,

just wondering what they actually change in the major service...

- oil, filter, air filter, belts, fuel filter etc...

but can someone please tell me exactly cos i might just do it myself and get them to do the hard stuff...

Cheers

100,000km service for a sportivo only includes spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and a safety check on anything else (plus other report items if need be, obviously).

the major service is 80,000kms

Edited by lateralus

100,000km service for a sportivo only includes spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and a safety check on anything else (plus other report items if need be, obviously).

the major service is 80,000kms

so what do they change in a major service???

btw... do the sportivos have a timing belt???

Major services on Corolla's are every 40,000kms...

This includes:

Oil and Filter

Air Filter

Brake Fluid

Coolant (some models)

Spark Plugs (non iridium type)

Then it's the same again at 80,000kms with the addition of the Fuel Filter

Sportivo Corolla runs iridium plugs so they are changed at 100,000kms, not every 40...

Hope that is what you were after :)

Since Sportivo's run a timing chain, do they need to be replaced?

What about if the car has been driven hard?

the timing chain will only need to be replaced if the chain links are out of specification. otherwise, there is no need to replace it unless you like fixing things that ain't broke.

a car that has been driven hard will not necessarily be in poor mechanical condition. if the owner actually has a sound mechanical understanding and therefore drives the car properly, in addition to the vehicle being serviced correctly, there shouldn't be any issues in the short term.

Since Sportivo's run a timing chain, do they need to be replaced?

What about if the car has been driven hard?

the timing chain will only need to be replaced if the chain links are out of specification. otherwise, there is no need to replace it unless you like fixing things that ain't broke.

a car that has been driven hard will not necessarily be in poor mechanical condition. if the owner actually has a sound mechanical understanding and therefore drives the car properly, in addition to the vehicle being serviced correctly, there shouldn't be any issues in the short term.

I understand what you are saying, maybe I am just being overly paranoid but from what I understand about twin cam engines is, that if the timing chain does break, it can destroy the internals & require an engine rebuild - yeah?

Obviously this is something I would prefer to avoid. I do understand that replacing the timing chain would require serious labour $$$ with the engine needing to be taken out. I was thinking of doing this when I start to mod the car at the end of the year.

Not being overly mechanical, how would I tell if the timing chain was on the way out? Would I get much notice? My car is an 05 Sportivo & has 150 000 kms on the dial. I get it serviced by Toyota every 10 000 kms.

I understand what you are saying, maybe I am just being overly paranoid but from what I understand about twin cam engines is, that if the timing chain does break, it can destroy the internals & require an engine rebuild - yeah?

Obviously this is something I would prefer to avoid. I do understand that replacing the timing chain would require serious labour $$ with the engine needing to be taken out. I was thinking of doing this when I start to mod the car at the end of the year.

Not being overly mechanical, how would I tell if the timing chain was on the way out? Would I get much notice? My car is an 05 Sportivo & has 150 000 kms on the dial. I get it serviced by Toyota every 10 000 kms.

symptoms of a timing chain going is you may hear a bit of timing chain slap or the engine may run more retarded. the only way to truly tell is to take the rocker cover off and formally inspect the timing chain links (which should be done by toyota when they're checking valve clearances at major services).