Crunching sound when shifting gears?

Hey guys, I've read stuff on this forum about lots of people having trouble changing from 2nd to 3rd in a corolla sportivo, but I'm just wondering if anyones experienced any problems going from 3rd to 2nd. Cheers :)

Hey guys, I've read stuff on this forum about lots of people having trouble changing from 2nd to 3rd in a corolla sportivo, but I'm just wondering if anyones experienced any problems going from 3rd to 2nd. Cheers :)

hey mate i had that exact issue at high revs. i replaced my gear box fluid (i use castrol syntrax 75w 90 and nulon g70 additive) problem seems to have gone but i am sure it will come back after 25,000km or so, i dont think you will ever get rid of it unless you spend 2 grand on a gear box rebuild and replace the syncros.

do you know when your gear box fluid was changed ?

Dave

oh no mine happens at low revs as well, thats what's worrying me a bit :/ umm..no idea, i bought the car and the log book stated that it was serviced every 10,000km and was serviced before i bought it. But ill give the gear box fluid a shot cos its to the point where I'm pretty much scared of down shifting to 2nd LOL

having a log book all stamped and dated doens't mean that your gearbox is trouble free. depends on how the previous owners drove it. my synchros are stuffed too i have trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd (rare occasional crunch) i find that rev matching makes it crunch less.

2 grand rebuild? u might as well grab a brand new one at MWR with a TRD LSD inside for 2.6

2 grand rebuild? u might as well grab a brand new one at MWR with a TRD LSD inside for 2.6

good point ! that 2 grand does include the labour required which is most of the cost so if you can do it your self i think it only costs about 1 grand for the bearings , seals and all the syncros.

Edited by 2zz corolla

Hey Mate,

My problem started with the exact same symptoms..

My Car is now at Gearbox logistics in Prestons getting a full gearbox overhaul.. looking at 1.9 k but he has worked on it over the W/E.

Thanks.

overtime the gearbox will grind on itself more, try dropping the fluid make sure theres no metal bits coming out, maybe u are just low on fluid. i remembered help changing one of the forum members gear box oil here. he had the original factory oil for 130k and it was basically almost like "black water" had just under 1 litre inside. after replacing it with the castrol syntrax 75W90 and 125ml of Nulon Gearbox additive, shifting has very much improved and the crunching dissapeared.

FYI - our stivo boxes take 2.3L of gearbox oil, so u'll need 3L of gearbox oil. the additive is optional

good point ! that 2 grand does include the labour required which is most of the cost so if you can do it your self i think it only costs about 1 grand for the bearings , seals and all the syncros.

Just remember to include freight.. and just be thankful your not driving a four wheel drive hatch, my brother recently broke the selector fork on his GTi-R and for the record, you basically have to pull out the engine for just about everything on that POS. he's looking at a little over 900 dollars just in labour, this is excluding parts.

I don't think work on a Stivo gearbox would cost you over 2k, that just sounds silly.. but yes, change your gearbox oil coz that just might resolve the problem temporarily.

Just think about the difference you'd be paying in terms of simply changing the oil, compared to something breaking in there, true?

Did changing the fluid and adding the Nulon additive help with high RPM gear changing?

Majority of the time its only when I decide to drive in a 'spirited' manner (high RPM) it does this?

Edited by KP 2ZZ