STAGE 2 CAM ISSUES FOR 2ZZGE

Hey guys,

I recently had stage 2 cams installed on my 2zzge motor. Problem is , it feels like the the Lift crossover doesnt occur.

Here's what happened. After the installation, I found out that my engine did not engage in lift but cut out at 7200rpm. After reading many guides online about it I found out it was something to do with the Oil Control Valve for the lift. So I popped up the bonnet and found out one of the plugs for the OCV was not plugged in all the way. As a result, the car could rev all the way to 8200rpm.

My question is, is it possible for the non lift rockers to rev all the way to 8200 rpm without engaging lift or is the fact that the engine can rev to 8200 a sign that the lift is working?

Also im abit worried whether the VVT has not been installed properly when the cams were installed.

Please share your thoughts...

Edited by redtivo

i'm assuming (and hoping) that you retuned the car after getting the cams fitted. if you did, then that would be way you don't feel lift. the air/fuel ratio would be altered to create a smoother more linear curve

the sudden engagement of 'lift' on a stock 2zz is more so of a marketing technique for toyota, as people will notice the difference more. thus, you still have 'lift' but it's engagement is smoother.

can't comment on the vvt functioning, as you need to ensure the cam gears are aligned correctly.

Thanks for the comment.

Haven't had it tuned yet but your right I will need a tune but I will need to get a PFC for that.

My question is basically, if the engine revs to 8200 rpm does it mean that lift has engaged?

As in is it possible for the stock rocker to rev to 8200 rpm or it can only rev to 8200 as a result of the lift cam activation?

Cuz thats what im wondering...

the rocker will rev to whatever but its weird that you dont have a kick in... i dont know i cant really talk because i dont have cams although i do have a pfc and i dont feel lift kick in anymore due to the fact that it has been tuned and its power the whole way through... but personaly i would take it back to who ever installed and see that they reckon.. cant hurt to have the opinion of the person who installed them..

It sounds like a spitting sound instead of a BAAAAAAA.

Im just curious as to whether it is or isnt engaging lift anymore, like does it mean that the pin isnt engaging the secondary lift rocker and somehow is it just running the primary rocker through to 8200...

I'll have to record it or something... otherwise it doesnt make sense haha

Edited by redtivo

I have the cams installed and you do feel lift come in. The cams make the car so much torquier below 6200 that the change over is alot smoother. I do believe on the other hand thow that its possible to rev to redline without the cams kicking in. I remember driving the car hard when cold and the cams never came in as well another instance where i launched the car on the limiter and the cams didnt come in. Do the video and lets see. It could also be that your lift bolts need changing. When mine we worn lift was inconsistent. I would test on 1st and 2nd gear thats the 2 most violent lift changeovers from a feeling POV.

Thanks for the comment.

Haven't had it tuned yet

And you are running Stage 2 cams... *facepalm*

So how long do you expect this motor to hold out? I strongly suggest get a piggyback or standalone ECU and tune her up.

Thanks for the comment.

Haven't had it tuned yet

And you are running Stage 2 cams... *facepalm*

So how long do you expect this motor to hold out? I strongly suggest get a piggyback or standalone ECU and tune her up.

As long as the AFRs are checked then it shouldn't matter about what runs the engine. Aftermarket ECU will obviously get the gains out of the cams as the power in the 2zz is in the timing, not the fueling.

Best thing about the cams is there is no need to stay in lift on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The extra torque at 6000rpm keeps it moving. I'd still highly recommend valves and springs with the stage 2 cams as the stock springs just fall short of binding at full lift; any valve float and they will bind.