Knocking sound in 2011 Aurion Touring SE

McCoy Pauley

Hi all, I purchased a 2011 manufactured Aurion in May 2011. It's basically used only for short runs to and from home to the local area (school, shops, etc) and it's only clocked up 2,000 km.

A couple of weeks ago, we drove from Melbourne to Healesville and back again, including over some gravel (unsealed) roads. That night, I noticed a leak from an area towards the front of the car (behind the front wheels and just right of centre, almost under the driver's seat). The leak stopped by the following morning and I didn't think anything more of it. It appears to be just water and it's a drip every second or so, then slowing down and stopping by the following morning.

Today, we were driving back from Nunawading down Maroondah Highway. We drove over the tram tracks on Whitehorse road up the hill towards Union Rd and we noticed a knocking sound coming from (we think) the rear right of the car. I can't really localise it more than that at this stage. It isn't present at very low speeds (5-10km/h) but it's quite noticeable at 50km/h-60km/h (I haven't travelled faster than that). I've read the thread about the intermediate steering shaft issue, and I don't think it's the same thing.

I also noticed that the leak was back from the same spot. Again, it appears to be water and it's a drip every second or so.

The car isn't due for its service until December, but I'm concerned that after only five months and 2,000km I'm having some (so far minor) issues with the car. The car's performance is not yet affected, but this is the first time I've had problems with a Toyota in years. So I'm planning to book it in with the dealer this week.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcomed.

Welcome to the club.

The water sounds like it's from your air con system, simple condensation and nothing to worry about, but use a tissue to absorb some of the liquid and see if it's transparent. If so then it's from the air con and nothing to be concerned about. If it's red or green then it's coolant and the system needs to be inspected for a leak.

As for the rear knock, 2 things to check are rear wheel nuts and the factory rear sway bar mounting nuts. If the sway bar nuts are even slightly loose it can cause a very audible knocking sound. For an idea of what it looks like, do a search in the Aurion section for the "whiteline sway bar" - it's an aftermarket upgraded version but is the same shape as the factory version only white in colour instead of black.

Thanks Steven.

One thing I didn't add was that the frequency of the knocking sound increases as I increase my speed and decreases as I brake.

You might have wheel bearing issues then. It would be very rare considering the age of the car but it's certainly something worth investigating. There isn't any back axle on the Aurion just the hub assembly, which eliminates a variety of possible speed related knocks. Try jacking the rear corner of the car off the ground and try spinning the wheel listening for noises. Further grab the top/bottom of the wheel and try to shake it to check for any movement.

For such a new car though obviously your best option is to take it to Toyota and let them handle it under warranty.

Thanks Steven.

One thing I didn't add was that the frequency of the knocking sound increases as I increase my speed and decreases as I brake.

You might have wheel bearing issues then. It would be very rare considering the age of the car but it's certainly something worth investigating. There isn't any back axle on the Aurion just the hub assembly, which eliminates a variety of possible speed related knocks. Try jacking the rear corner of the car off the ground and try spinning the wheel listening for noises. Further grab the top/bottom of the wheel and try to shake it to check for any movement.

For such a new car though obviously your best option is to take it to Toyota and let them handle it under warranty.

Thanks Steven, again.

The ironic thing is, my wife scratched the car down the back passenger side this morning. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that my wife ran over a nail that was causing a slow puncture on the left rear tyre. I'm a bit puzzled as to why that would cause a knock on the right hand side of the car, but the dealer's service department removed the nail and patched up the tyre, and no knock.

In relation to the scratch and dent my wife inflicted on the door, we've got four quotes for the repairs. Two of the panel beaters want to replace the entire door and two would replace the skin. Given that there's about $800-$900 difference between replacing the door and replacing the skin on the door, I'm scratching my head over which route to go. Further, if we choose the cheaper option, I won't bother making a claim on insurance because the excess is $950 (my wife is licensed less than 2 years).

On a six-month old car, I'm wondering which way to jump. Any thoughts welcomed.

Turns out that my wife ran over a nail that was causing a slow puncture on the left rear tyre. I'm a bit puzzled as to why that would cause a knock on the right hand side of the car, but the dealer's service department removed the nail and patched up the tyre, and no knock.

In relation to the scratch and dent my wife inflicted on the door, we've got four quotes for the repairs. Two of the panel beaters want to replace the entire door and two would replace the skin. Given that there's about $800-$900 difference between replacing the door and replacing the skin on the door, I'm scratching my head over which route to go. Further, if we choose the cheaper option, I won't bother making a claim on insurance because the excess is $950 (my wife is licensed less than 2 years).

On a six-month old car, I'm wondering which way to jump. Any thoughts welcomed.

Try calling up wrecking yards to see if they have a door in your color. Aurions are appearing at yards fairly frequently now and a door is a commonly stocked part. Even if you don't find a correct color a wrecker door resprayed would still be a very cheap option.

Also, in relation to an earlier post, please read the following

http://grammar.about.com/od/il/g/ironyterm.htm