Which petrol for a long trip?

2011 KX-S Cosmos Blue

For long trips where you are going to spend a lot of your time in the low revs while cruising, in my opinion you won't really reap the benefits of a higher octane fuel. If you are happy with the E10 and reckon you have good results with it, then by all means stick to it, otherwise regular unleaded or premium will work fine. If you are like some of us (myself included) and tend to think that BP Ultimate is good for your engine, then by am means feel free to use that. This is more for the 'cleaning' properties of the fuel and not for its octane.

Now that the there is no real price difference between E10 and regular unleaded, I would skip the E10, as you are almost paying the same for less mileage. That's in NSW.

In NSW there its no such thing as regular unleaded any more, it is either E10 or premium (all 91 is now E10). Personally I never use anything less than 95 in any of my cars regardless of the trip length.

In NSW there its no such thing as regular unleaded any more, it is either E10 or premium (all 91 is now E10).

NSW:

Unleaded:

Lansvale: 7 Eleven, Caltex/Woolworths, Shell

Burwood: 7 Eleven

South Strathfield: 7 Eleven.

If someone wants to add to that list, that would be great, thanks.

In NSW there its no such thing as regular unleaded any more, it is either E10 or premium (all 91 is now E10). Personally I never use anything less than 95 in any of my cars regardless of the trip length.

Then why do I still see service stations still displaying "Regular Unleaded" above the pumps (not marked E10), can't afford to change signage.

I myself only use Shell V-Power.

In NSW there its no such thing as regular unleaded any more, it is either E10 or premium (all 91 is now E10).

NSW:

Unleaded:

Lansvale: 7 Eleven, Caltex/Woolworths, Shell

Burwood: 7 Eleven

South Strathfield: 7 Eleven.

If someone wants to add to that list, that would be great, thanks.

My mistake, 91 is still available, but for a limited time only (and a lot of places have already jumped the gun and gotten rid of it). Under the NSW Biofuel (Ethanol Content) Ammendment Act a minimum % amount of petrol sold from July 1 onwards had to be E10, and all 91 will be replaced by E10 by July 2012. Initially it was to be July 2011, but I think a 12 month grace period was added (the legislature took effect in July 2011 but allows for later start dates).

I am unsure which TV show it was on but recently there was a 'blind' test conducted with 3 identical cars (Hyundai I30) for fuel economy for each of the three fuel octane ratings. They also threw in a diesel for good measure but I think the purpose of the test was to compare petrol economy. The test was conducted under controlled conditions on a race circuit. The cars were run until the fuel tank was empty then they were refilled with the same amount of fuel in each. The test was run with 3 litres of each fuel in all the cars. Then they were driven until empty.

On the second run the E10 came in with the lowest kilometers per litre and dollar meaning that it would cost more to drive the 1000 km using E10.

The next best was 95 with a bit better economy based on both litres and cost

By far the best result for economy was the 98 premium.

I have searched on the respective TV web sites but have not been able to find the video.

I have a copy on my DVR at home which I can e-mail to you tonight if you want. PM if you want to see it

This has convinced me to switch to premium for all my cars no matter what trip I am doing.

I have tons of info covering this in my thread that has of 30,000 views.

In summary BP Ultimate 98 is actually the ULTIMATE fuel to use in Australia, gives the best economy, best power, safest engine, cleanest engine.

If you love your car use it, if not use the other crap with Ethanol blended in it, don't say you have not been warned about the con that is ethanol and also the cheapskate 98 oct brews around from inferior vendors (including Shell@!)

I know Today Tonight also did a similar story and test sometime within 2011. It's a pity that they did not do the same test after the first run (when fuel lines and filters were drained) when they only ran on 3 litres, and did it for the major oil companies. That would have been a more accurate indication on kilometres per litre.

• 3 months later...

I CANT SAY ENOUGH NICE THINGS ABOUT BP ULTIMATE I FILLED UP TODAY AND WAS SHOCKED HOW GOOD THE ECONOMY IM GETTING IM AVERAGING EXTRA 2L,100 BETTER ECONOMY AND THATS STRAIGHT AFTER I FILLED UP. :toast: I WAS GETTING 11.8LH GOING TO WORK AND BACK HOME HALF OF THAT WAS AROUND TOWN AND THE OTHER HALF WAS ON HIGHWAY WITH A BIT OF STOP START TO OPEN GATES AND DRIVE UP OUR DRIVEWAY. WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GOOD :unsure: NOW IM AVERAGING 9.8L100 WHICH IM OVER THE MOON ABOUT. :clap:

Stick with 95 or 98 as it will save you money at the mechanic. E10 is often supplied with bad batches so its not worth taking the risk.

I only use 98 and definitely get better fuel economy though i havent calculated the cost per km yet. Im sure it works out the same. The main difference is E10 is bad for your engine , high octane will clean your engine..