Advice on fuel line

I'm putting in a new fuel pump on the celica, undoing the connector between the tanks line and the tubing to the front end is a no go.. it's so tight it wont budge.. and sure enough the spanner just rounded the nut.

My question is this... if I cut the steel line to get it out and the insert a small section of fuel line to connect it again with clamps, will it hold the pressure without leaking? I realise the line is under pressure, but is it enough to burst a couple of mm's joined with fuel hose? photo bucket not working.

Thanks guys.

post-25333-0-48000100-1321849757_thumb.j

Thanks for taking the time to reply Trent.. The filings did cross my mind, I was thinking if any did end up in the line, they would find their way to the filter. I'll will give the vice grips I try first...

I the same issue with the brake lines when installing braided lines to the rear. I used a lot of WD 40 and small vice grips after it rounded. Just make sure the line is not taking the force you apply as it can move around and bend a bit. I would not cut the line but it sounds like it could work but might need to use proper fuel line with metal covering like a sheeth (Think its a legal thing) and fittings not normal hose and clamps