stretched shifter cable common?

2times

i have discovered that i have stretched my shifter cable... most likely cause im stupid enough to rest my hand on the shifter while driving.

how common is this problem in the stivos? during investigation of this problem i found that the cable bushing had room to wiggle, is the plastic end stretched like is it supposed to move? or is it the cable itself stretched or both?

getting it fixed at toyota their first day back after christmas, this was not a nice present. also getting mt90 chucked in the box when they do it.

I wouldn't have thought that the cable would stretch from resting your hand ont he shifter, I know the shift detents can wear from doing this though. Stretched cables aren't common, but the shifter cable rattle is a known issue. Changing to new cables solves the problem.

super dave, i talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said it does happen in the early models and i remember reading somewhere that changing the cable from some sort of rubber to some sort of metal was one the few mechanical updates when the facelift came out. i know its the cable cause i disconnected at the gear box and tried to shift, it still felt bound up and "gummy". the detents seem fine, theyre the things that keep it in gear right? if i reach down to the gearbox and shift it my self i can easily select gears and it stays there, and with unhooking it and shifting im 99% sure its just the cable is stretched.

silvabullit, pretty sure the shock proof and mt90 are different products. just checked a couple threads and the redline site, and shock proof kills synchros cause its heaps thicker and produced for dog boxes. mt90 is the viscosity the 6 speed needs and from what seems like the majority are reccomending mt90 is the way to go.

for a week i was driving around with only the top row of gears going in, 1,3 &5. yesterday it all carcked it, no more gears and now need it towed to toyota :( the irony of losing my gearbox on boxing day does not make me happy :angry:

U lost all gears ?

So u only had 1 3 5 .. Top row ? Now none..

Well those gears use separate selector forks.

( 1 2 ) ( 3 4 ) ( 5 6 ) ...

Check that your selector assembly is moving when you select gears with ur gear stick. Sounds like ur gearshift assembly is carked it or ur selector housing on the box.. Pretty sure I have a spare ..

thanks for the offer and info prozak. but im not going to stuff around with it my self.

i had taken the shifter itself out when this problem first started and it was fine, no probs moving around or the positions it was going into. like i said im 99% sure its the cable, cause of that and disconnecting it at the gearbox end. ill post exactly what the problem is on thursday after toyota work their magic.

just picked the car up, and i was right cable was stretched! had them replaced and mt90 put in. now it feels like a whole new gearbox! lands lift from 1st to 2nd and everything! no crunching into 3rd when its cold either! it didnt even feel this good when i bought it! i can shift with just 1 finger and feels incredibly light!

im a very happy boy! :yahoo: