tow capacities

GK200

Hi,

Can anyone explain how tow capacities are calculated? My KXS-AWD has a braked towing capacity of 2000Kg. How is it that a Ford sedan that is a much lighter vechicle has a braked towing capacity of 2300KG?

Can the Kluger be beefed up to legally tow more weight like the Ford???

Any help appreciated.

thanks Geoff

Towing capacity is based off several factors, including mass of the vehicle, torque characteristics of the engine, the load capacity of the frame of the vehicle, the strength of the attachment points for the tow hitch, brakes, suspension/stability, transmission/cooling etc etc.

Ford have designed the Falcon to tow as much as it does (in the past they had heavy duty towing packs as options, but it appears standard now) since a lot of people use Falcons/Commodores to tow boats/caravans etc. A Falcon isn't that much lighter than a Kluger though (~1700kg compared to ~1800/1900kg?), but they do have a big engine with lots of low-down torque (ideal for towing).

• 2 weeks later...

Kluger towing limitation of 2000kg is imposed by Toyota. It does seem somewhat arbitary ... when a Territory can tow 2300kg. My cynical side thinks it is a clever marketing ploy by Toyota: if you want to tow > 2000kg, buy a Prado. If you want to tow > 2500kg buy a Landcruiser.

What I do not quite understand is how a 5 door Prado can tow up to 2500kg whereas a 3 door Prado can tow up to 3000kg.

What I do not quite understand is how a 5 door Prado can tow up to 2500kg whereas a 3 door Prado can tow up to 3000kg.

A shorter vehicle will have a stronger chassis, the chassis will not flex as much in the latitude (east/west) direction.

Yes the Kluger is often referred to as a SOFT SUV.

I agree, Toyota have a marketing plan with the tow capacities. I don't agree that the Commodores are like the Fords with regard to Tow capacities. Ford are way out in front.

Why would you spend over $50,000.00 on a Kluger to tow when a cheaper Ford will do & tow more.

Besides the "run out" price of a Pajero is cheaper than a Pado. With Towing in mind; Pajero=3000kg & Pado=2500kgs

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

I AGREE WHEN I HAD MY PRADO IT WAS RATED TO TOW 25OOKG AND I SEE UTES WITH HIGHER TOWING CAPACITIES AND HAVE LESS POWER AND TORQUE AND PROBALY LIGHTER TOO THAT MAKES ME THINK THE IF THE PRADO ISNT GOING TOO TOW IT I WOULD DOUGHT THAT UTES GOING TOO TOW IT.