Stivo steering probs...

Hey guys, I'm been having problems with my cars steering for a while now. Normal driving on slightly uneven roads causes the steering to shake badly.

My mechanic can't seem to find exactly where the problem lies. He reckons it's a buckled rim, so I got 4 new tyres recently and the guys there couldn't fault it. And sadly, still shakky even with new tyres and a balance. I've upped the tyre pressure to 37psi and it feels heaps better but not 100%.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It could be your wheel aligmement or your rotors or buckled? Does the shaking increase as you brake?

My wheel used to shake pretty bad, then I had a wheel alignment done by bilstein and it was perfect :D

It could be the rotors but my mechanic has had two or three cracks at it and still has him stumped! Braking is fine, though saying this I am due to have the the fronts pads and rotors redone. I had it aligned by Marks & Wallings, sure they're not Bilsteins but it made little difference.

Mine used to shake, ever so slightly tho

Due for tyres so I got 4 new tyres on my 17's.. I balanced them and while they were spinning checked for buckles and nah no Buckle, sall good now,

Check wheel movement 3-9 o'clock for excessive movement in ur rack ie tie rod end..

my wheel used to shake over 100kmh and i to thought it was my rotors or wheel balance, did an alignment and balance and it fixed it dramatically, maybe do what prozak said and check your steering rack, when the car is jacked up, can you wobble the wheel?? maybe there are worn out joints in the suspension?

Does your steering wheel shake over 100kmh? I've got the same problem, forgot the reason but it can be easily fixed.

do you have aftermarket wheels ? do you have hubcentric rings ? if not then this could be the problem .

Wheel Hub Centric Rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a centerbore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufactures make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the centerbore. This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.

source : http://www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

My stivo has stock rims. I have no problems driving on freeways (over 100km/h) most likely because the road surface is quite good compared to the poor state of Sydney roads.

I'll have to double check with my mechanic to see if he's checked all the steering components like the steering rack, etc as 123R-Prozak has kindly pointed out. Thanks

Does your steering wheel shake over 100kmh? I've got the same problem, forgot the reason but it can be easily fixed.

do you have aftermarket wheels ? do you have hubcentric rings ? if not then this could be the problem .

Wheel Hub Centric Rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a centerbore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufactures make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the centerbore. This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.

source : http://www.justforwh...ntric-rings.jsp

Yeah aftermarket wheels, Cheers mate!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the car serviced last week by a "recommended" mechanic on the lower North Shore. Other than a full service I added new front disk rotors and pads, power steering flush and wheel balance as recommended by the mechanic. I've driven the car a bit over the last few days and the steerings still not right. This mechanic says he couldn't fault it even after taking the car for a road test after he finished the job.

I pulled out my trusty pencil tyre gauge yesturday and to my surprise the left tyre was set at 38 psi and the right one was 40 psi! I don't know what's going on there, maybe his tyre inflator was faulty. But at least he realises that keeping it at 32psi is way to low, as I have experienced.

I'm not giving up on the old girl just yet, and plan to track down a good mechanic that can sort out my steering issues once and for all before the year is out.

Edited by Blk_T-sport

After last weeks service the mechanic did mention one wheel was slightly buckled and ended up adding some weights to balance it right. But he did say it was very small and nothing to worry about. I only wish I had a spare set of wheels to prove it either way.

It's still shakky at low speed up to 60km/h on slightly uneven roads, and feels good turning which seems a little odd.