1986 Corona won't start

We just purchased an automatic 1986 Toyota Corona for our son to learn to drive in. When we picked it up with the trailer it started and ran well enough to drive it onto the trailer although it was a little rough. Once we got it home I decided to give it a big spray under the bonnet to get rid of all the leaves, sticks, cobwebs, etc. Once it was dry I then blew the air filter out and sprayed a bunch of carby cleaner into the carby. After letting it sit for 15 minutes I tried to start the car. I was expecting smoke followed by the engine starting but all I got was smoke.

I ran the battery flat trying to start it because it seemed to want to start. If I pumped the accelerator and held it to the floor it would fire but only for half a second. I charged the battery up overnight and checked on a few things before trying again. I pulled the dizzy cap off and made sure it was dry - it was. I turned the car over with the fuel hose off the carby and fuel was coming out of the fuel pump.

I am not a mechanic (or even close) but I can replace things when I know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas? The car was also sitting around for nearly a year before the previous owner purchased it a few weeks ago.

Cheers!

Welcome Daniel :)

We used to have a corona until it was written off in a hail storm.

One day it would not start because the inlet manifold was loose as the bolts had fallen out.

I got some replacement bolts from the wreckers and bolted it back up and then it started.

It is not good to spray carby cleaner through the carby whilst the carby is still on the engine.

Any gunk/rubbish dislogded will go into the engine.

As the car was sitting around for a year , the petrol would be bad and possibly contains moisture.

Also is there any water in the engine oil or oil in the radiator.

This could indicate a blown head gasket.

Check the spark plugs and leads with a multimeter.

I hope this helps

Thanks for your reply Alan. I usually spray carby cleaner in the carby when it is on the car and then start it to blow all the crap out. It has worked well in the past so I am hoping that it is not what is causing the problem.

All the manifold bolts are tight. Not an easy job to check given Toyota's love of vacuum hoses ;-)

The oil is fine - just old. The oil and water were the first things I checked before buying the car. The auto trans fluid even looks good and doesn't have a burnt smell.

I wouldn't think that the fuel is a problem. It did run fine and I threw another 20 litres in before trying to start it the second time. Any off fuel should be diluted enough not to affect it's ability to start (I think)

I will be checking the distributor and plugs tomorrow. I know that they don't like water so a spray of WD-40 might help there.

I will post here again once I have had a go at it tomorrow.

Cheers, Daniel

Just one more thing to check.

The carby float/pin might be stuck.

It can be dislodged by gently tapping the side of the carby with a piece of wood.

I have started many old carby cars this way after they have been left while I was on holidays.

I gave the carby a few bangs with a lump of pine and tried again. It still did the same thing but eventually fired. It ran like a dog but at least it is running again. Now I can focus on doing all the plugs, leads, fluids and filters.

Cheers!