drivers side door - will not open from inside

hi guys,

The driver side door - never had issues with it before, but since a few days ago it just wont open from the inside.

when I pull the door handle (from inside) it only goes half way through and does not open the door.

I can still open the door from outside (by lowering the window) or using the remote - but not from inside.

Can't tell how did it stop working - because it was not me who found it. Could be just the rainy/wet weather affected the wiring,

but can't really tell whether it a mechanical or an electrical issue. I remember that a year ago or so a driver door window was playing up

- could not close it by pressing a button - but it only happened once and somehow fixed itself. Could be relevant to the todays door issue.

Before I embark on trying to fix it myself - would like to get some pointers on what could that be and where to start.

Cheers.

I doubt that it would be electrical as the inside handle is connected to the locking mechanism with metal rods. It could be that one of the rods has became disconnected, the door cards are pretty easy to take off so if your a little bit handy with mechanical things it should be fairly simple to see what the issue is.

If you do end up on deciding to take it somewhere I suggest a locksmith as they deal with locks and locking mechanisms.

I doubt that it would be electrical as the inside handle is connected to the locking mechanism with metal rods. It could be that one of the rods has became disconnected, the door cards are pretty easy to take off so if your a little bit handy with mechanical things it should be fairly simple to see what the issue is.

Thanks (mr2).

Is this the metal rod you were talking about:

(from http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/264887-diy-interior-door-handle-replacement-gen-3-a.html)

Step14a.jpg

Will try to remove the door panel to see what is blocking the handle / if the rod got off - not particularly handy with the cars, but

would not hurt to try. Thanks mate.

If you do end up on deciding to take it somewhere I suggest a locksmith as they deal with locks and locking mechanisms.