1996 Camry 5S-FE Spark Plugs and Leads Question

jing713

Hi all,

I've been DIYing to learn and save money as I'm a young adult, and the car I am talking about is a 4 cylinder 2.2L 5S-FE in a 1996 Camry.

Just replaced the platinum sparks with copper for testing and observation to see if there's any improvement in fuel economy / performance.

(Assuming the cylinder closest to the timing belt is #1)

Cylinder # 1 and #2 and its leads came out perfectly fine.

HOWEVER

plug #3 , the plug lead inside the engine and the top of the spark plug was rather sooty and was a bit hard to get out.

plug #4 was another different story, the thread inside the engine (i.e the metal part – the non white part) was rather oily and most difficult to unscrew.

After installing new plugs, car drove fine and appears to have no issues, the old spark heads /tips (where the electricity jumps) looked healthy.

Here is a pic of them all:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/20120615180639.jpg/

From top to bottom, #1 -> #4

It looks like #1 is 'cleanest', followed by #2 then #3 then #4

Engine seems to be smoother and slightly more willing than before.

With that said, what does Plug and Lead #3 and #4 tell me about the health of the engine?

Car is overdue for a service by a few hundred km / 2 months (according to the sticker) which will be done before the end of July

Thanks all!

#3 looks sooty, possibly combustion gases, may not have been seated correctly.

#4 looks like the spark plug tube was loose.

This is a handy little chart, however it is aimed solely at the electrode end.

reading_spark_plugs.jpg

#3 looks sooty, possibly combustion gases, may not have been seated correctly.

#4 looks like the spark plug tube was loose.

This is a handy little chart, however it is aimed solely at the electrode end.

reading_spark_plugs.jpg

Thanks mate, sounds like it shouldn't be a major issue!

Also took a look at your thread with your camry!! haha :)

What kind of spark plug leads are you using? I think mine still has stock ones.

I'd like to get some new ones, preferably NGK. but frankfully they don't sell it everywhere. I could get them shipped from America for roughly $80, or buy Bosch ones @ Supercheap for $60.

Or this "high tension spark plug" that's made by Taipan? (never heard of them) for $42

http://www.quicksales.com.au/ad/high-tension-spark-plug-lead-set-camry-sxv20-5sfe/2421877

Cheers once more mate!

I'm using Denso IK22 Iridium's but hey will not really suit your stock application.

Not sure about those leads, haven't had anything to do with them, I am using NGK leads currently, however, Cmapion and Bosch should be fine.

I'm using Denso IK22 Iridium's but hey will not really suit your stock application.

Not sure about those leads, haven't had anything to do with them, I am using NGK leads currently, however, Cmapion and Bosch should be fine.

Thanks, ordered some BKR6EIX-11 (Iridiums as well) off Amazon for roughly $8 each... Found out the V Powers aren't copper, which defeats the purpose of me changing from Platinum.

Bought a set of leads off Amazon as well, NGK TE62. Not 100% sure if they're right spec, I am a tad worried that they may be the model for the California Emissions.

For everyones info:

Bosch's ledas can be had for $60 from supercheap

Edited by jing713

They do actually.

Fantastic, I might pick up an upstream Oxygen Sensor later..

Sorry some newb questions here.. :blush:

Are they hard to install :blink: , I'm having difficulty locating the o2 sensor on the 5sfe

5SFE-CAMRY%20(Small).jpg

Is it anywhere in the picture above? :ninja:

Also thinking of getting the mechanic to check the ignition timing - how often is that needed for these old cars?

Thanks a million :excl:

They do actually.

Are they hard to install :blink: , I'm having difficulty locating the o2 sensor on the 5sfe

5SFE-CAMRY%20(Small).jpg

Also thinking of getting the mechanic to check the ignition timing - how often is that needed for these old cars?

Easy to do, it is the probe looking thing with the wire hanging off the exhaust manifold at the very bottom of the picture.

You really should buy something like this, they can be had cheaper too. Gives step by step instructions.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Camry-Holden-Apollo-1993-1996-Gregorys-Service-Repair-Workshop-Manual-/150835662276?pt=AU_Non_Fiction_Books_2&hash=item231e818dc4

They do actually.

Easy to do, it is the probe looking thing with the wire hanging off the exhaust manifold at the very bottom of the picture.

You really should buy something like this, they can be had cheaper too. Gives step by step instructions.

http://www.ebay.com....=item231e818dc4

Thanks, ordered a Denso 2342058 off Amazon, $72 including delivery.

Gonna change that when it gets here.

Cheers for the link, price's a bit steep, but I'll look into one - would be useful! ^_^

I asked at supercheap and they said lead will be over $100 and need to be order.

$100?!

I took a look on their online store, they stock the Bosch that's compatible with the 5S-FE - they were only ~$60 iirc .. hmm

I asked at supercheap and they said lead will be over $100 and need to be order.

Supercheap are morons and they charge to much.

I found them the same, if it was something that was not a shelf product they had no real knowlege of anything else.