Gearbox Issues

Rohnan90

Hi Guys.

I am Having some trouble with my 5S-FE gearbox. I know that second gear Synchro is on its way out (crunching on down-shifts and occasional up-shifts) but just recently it has been making a rather loud grinding sort of noise when the engine is de-cellerating and slows to a stop when the car comes to a stop. Originally I was thinking it may be my passenger side inner CV joint as the boot is split, but I have felt vibrations come through the gear stick as it is making this noise.

The Best way to describe the noise would be it sounds like when you pull on a fishing line and the drag spools on the reel. (its very vague but its the only way I can describe it.)

Any Help much appreciated :)

syncro might have let go, or something else in the gearbox broke.

Its probably going to require a gbox rebuild or replacement. However, S5x gearbox's are cheap and plentiful.

Has this gearbox got any oil in it?

Has the oil ever been changed?

My gearbox was notchy and noisy on downshifts and the syncros were sludged up because the oil had not been changed since the stone age.

Replaced the oil with 75w90 synthetic penrite and now it shifts fine and is quiet.

However if your gearbox is excessively worn with lots of kilometres an oil change won't fix it.

How is the clutch?

Drain the oil into a clean container and look/feel for any metallic residue. Using a clean container will allow you to re-use it if it is fine and you can't afford to do an oil change. Sounds very much like a synchro issue to me.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. sorry for the late reply.

i changed the GB oil when i got the car because of the crunching. i used a much thicker grade than recommended thinking it may help but no change. when dumping the old oil i noticed a lovely golden swirl of metal shavings through it :/. i originally thought it was the synchro causing the noise (though the syncho/GB needs replacing anyway) but i have a feeling it isn't the GB. though i could be wrong i'd like to explore all options.

Also, do u guys know if the 5s-fe camry GBs are a direct fit to the celica's? I can't seem to find many celica's being wrecked in tas and would prefer not to ship.

thanks for the help guys.