random grinding noise when starting the engine

With the warmer weather, this issue is coming back more often.

has anyone experienced this too?

I believe the with warmer weather, the engine oil remains warmer for longer when off, and hence runs into the sump more easily?!

• 1 month later...

People, if it a aurion IT IS A RECALL. fixed on complaint. if it is a rattle noise on cold start up and when oil is changed it is vvti controllers, big job, motor out to replace. it is done free of charge if your car is in the specs. contact your dealers about this. i cant remember if it is with klugers as well due to same 2gr motor. i see that there a few complains on hilux's and corrolas, hiluxs have the 1gr motors (v6 petrols), it happens when the car has lack of servicing, never heard it on corrola, thats a new one. if you just brought the car and the noise is happening please check in the oil cap for oil sludge, even take rocket cover off to have a better look, dont buy it if there is, it will need a motor re-build due to it and not long after be getting black smoke out of exhaust. (this is a common thing, even if it misses 2 or more services this accurs!!! be carefull. (most common with the 2gr')

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I took in my trd last month to Toyota to see what the problems is on start up with the grinding noise they got back to me and said its your vvti gears they need replacing they said it will costs 4000 dollars which is crazy so I spoke to a relative told me call Toyota Australia which I did told them the situation told them a friend of mine has the same problem this must be a factory fault they said 2 cars not enough so I told him jump onto the Toyota forum about this problem which he did and read about it so he told well ur car is out of warranty go into ur Toyota dealer and do a out of warranty claim and maybe out of generosity they will fix it cause the car has only done 70,000km I went in gave them my log books 2 weeks later received a phone saying I have been deniedy next step is to call the ombudsman and department of fair trading cause this is a factory fault and out trds should be fixed under Toyota not our pockets

that is crazy! this weekend i got the oil changed to 5w30 and the oil filter.. when i turned the car on, it rattled even longer.. mate let us know how you go with the complaint and all the best with it!

i just got my 75k service last wednesday, and just before it, the noise was there nearly 80% of start ups.

but once i picked up the car from the service, i was told my oil was low, which i found odd seeing as i had check the oil a week prior to it and it was fine.

however, since the service i haven't had the noise come up

• 1 month later...

My 2008 Aurion start having grinding noise at 95K. I agree that in hot days the problem was worst. I could recreate the problem by leaving the car for two hrs under the sun in summer. I tried to record the problem with my video camera but dealer told me that it is a known issue and no need for it.

Fortunately I have extended warranty and dealer booked the car for 5 days and replaced the VVTi Kit plus timing belt and pully since it was noisy too. The new VVTi have two extra holes hence this problem should not happen again.

My friend works in Toyota and told me that if owners with cars out of warranty negotiate with dealer then Toyota pays 50% and owner pays 50% for the total cost since this is a known problem.

P.S. I tried to test drive a new Lexus RX270 and noticed the same grinding noise at start up. Make sure you get a extended warranty.