Grande buying advice

DoubleD

Hi everyone

visited our dealer today and was pretty dam impressed with the Grande - it literally has everything we would ever want in a car(except for parking sensors which is weird) but i thought id ask some questions here before handing over a significant amount of money. It will be the first new car we buy after several used cars so im pretty keen to get it right for this purchase

1. If we buy 'new' what year model are we actually going to get ? 2011 or 2012(is there such a thing) or is it just a build year/complaince difference not model difference per se

2. we are looking at getting the 2wd version, any downside to this? we arent expecting to go off road so its 100% urban use for us

3. Fuel consumption, is it as advertised at 11L/100 or is that crap vs reality

4. What kind of issues/problems are commonly experienced with the latest revision of the Kluger? any showstoppers

5, What are the usual things that these dealers can throw in(if any) so i dont get the bill for them

6. Fixed price servicing - is it legit or are there hidden catches in it.. iv read the 80k service on previous models can be around the 1k mark so is the $180 or whatever it is enough to cover that labour etc.

i know they are pretty general questions but i thought id get the ball rolling and see how the discussion goes - id especially like to hear from you if you own the latest Grande

We are looking at getting:

• 2WD Grande in Graphite
  • Sidesteps
  • Front and rear park sensors
  • Nudgebar
  • UV Tint on front driver/passenger windows
  • Floor mats
  • Boot mat
  • weather shields for front windows
  • Towbar

Thanks

Hi everyone

visited our dealer today and was pretty dam impressed with the Grande - it literally has everything we would ever want in a car(except for parking sensors which is weird) but i thought id ask some questions here before handing over a significant amount of money. It will be the first new car we buy after several used cars so im pretty keen to get it right for this purchase

1. If we buy 'new' what year model are we actually going to get ? 2011 or 2012(is there such a thing) or is it just a build year/complaince difference not model difference per se

It is not unreasonable to ask for and get a car under 3 months from the manufacture date. You can request this with your order and also ask for one with less that 100k on it. My new Kluger was 2 months old and had 6 k on it. You are buying a NEW car, not one 12 months old that has 500k of demo usage on it. Stipulate this if the do not offer you a demo.

2. we are looking at getting the 2wd version, any downside to this? we arent expecting to go off road so its 100% urban use for us

I chose the 2wd version... it handles well and gives a lot better fuel economy than the AWD version.

I have taken mine on some tracks and it goes where the tiny 4WD's go with ease. If you intended to travel the snow roads a lot then all the extra $$$ for awd may be a worthwhile outlay.

3. Fuel consumption, is it as advertised at 11L/100 or is that crap vs reality

With my 2wd I constantly get low 8's/100 on the open road without trying to drive conservatively and low 10's/100 in the city. For the power and size of the vehicle the 2wd version is amazing on fuel. I did achieve 7.0/100 exact on a trip from Tweed Heads to Caboolture once but that was on straight level road doing a constant 110. I recently did 500k towing a caravan and it returned 14/100 which impressed me. If you read this forum you will see there is a topic dealing with fuel economy.

4. What kind of issues/problems are commonly experienced with the latest revision of the Kluger? any showstoppers

Had mine for 3ths and done 5000k... no problem to report at all except I can't find enough excuses to drive it often enough. I've owned a lot of cars in my almost 50 years of motoring, both new and used, but this vehicle is much more than just another car.

5, What are the usual things that these dealers can throw in(if any) so i dont get the bill for them

Mats are always free.... the rest is up to you to figure out... I got a heap of extras with mine but I did the research and knew what to push to. There are posts on here about members deals they achieved. A tow bar is always a good one as is a full tank.

6. Fixed price servicing - is it legit or are there hidden catches in it.. iv read the 80k service on previous models can be around the 1k mark so is the $180 or whatever it is enough to cover that labour etc.

The fixed service charge is for a set amount of k's and with my dealer there is not catch or con. I also have not seen any mentioned with all my reading of reports from owners. Make sure you are dealing with a good dealer... luckily we have 3 around here and one is truly rotten...

i know they are pretty general questions but i thought id get the ball rolling and see how the discussion goes - id especially like to hear from you if you own the latest Grande

We are looking at getting:

• 2WD Grande in Graphite
  • Sidesteps
  • Front and rear park sensors
  • Nudgebar
  • Got one on mine included... handy for parking assist. :-)
  • UV Tint on front driver/passenger windows
  • You know these are already tinted?
  • Floor mats
  • Always free... they are a pest though as they are the clip on type and are a mongrel to get out.
  • Reject shop / GoLo have sets with spikes on the back that are much better for $7 - $8 set of 4.
  • Boot mat
  • weather shields for front windows
  • Got these included ... great when it is raining and you like to have your window down a little.
  • Towbar
  • aka rear park assist. :-) very handy to have.

Thanks

With the Grande @ $70,000 + just add up what you get for your extra $35,000 over the base model. I could not see the $35k in it personally but we all have different wants and likes. One thing I did not like was the lower profile tyres which would be more prone to damage.

wow thanks for such a detailed response. you have given me more then i could ever try on my own

love your idea of the front and rear assist options lol. i guess better hit those then the actual car

ill be giving the dealer a call tomorrow if he doesnt get to me first and i will try and get some pricing on the 2wd version with the above accessories - ill see what i come up with and report back.. let the haggling begin

Well total change of plan today.

We went to visit the dealer but on the way we were in and out of the car lots as usual.. sitting in the corner of the Renault/Proton used car sections was a shiny White Kluger

On closer inspection it turned out to be a 2011 2wd Grande, 21000km(1 service) + nudgebar and mats (no sensors, no sidesteps, no towbar, no weather shields). Fairly immaculate condition with no scratches or chips on the front of the car, the rest of the exterior is sound with just some minor wear on the rear bumper(i assume from dragging something in/out of the boot)

Front interior is perfect, second row also sound but some scuffing around the 3rd row cupholders etc

after a bit of mucking around and a test drive we shook hands on the following

$50000 changeover after 2k tradein for my crapbox and this price also included stampduty and 12mths rego..

I personally think i got a fair deal on the car but it is missing those options i would have liked(especially the sensors)

Sensors around $1300-1500 to get toyota genuine parts and install? and sidesteps maybe another 2k?

What do you think? good deal? fail? too late i guess

I was looking at around 68000 all up for a brand new 2012 version

Edited by DoubleD

Hi oms, you have done well, you saved your self $18000 and it is the same car , only 12 months older,you can always get the sensors fitted later, aswell the sidesteps,even after you purchased the extras you saved youself a bunble and least someone else has lost money on it and not you, so mate I would be stoked.

Mate good luck with kluger and would love to from you on how its going and what you think of it.

Hi oms, you have done well, you saved your self $18000 and it is the same car , only 12 months older,you can always get the sensors fitted later, aswell the sidesteps,even after you purchased the extras you saved youself a bunble and least someone else has lost money on it and not you, so mate I would be stoked.

Mate good luck with kluger and would love to from you on how its going and what you think of it.

Thanks for that David.. i really cant wait to get her home.. apparently we should be done by Thurs arvo or Friday with all the papwerork, rego + cheques etc.

Ill definitely pass on all my thoughts about the car and obviously will ask some of the longer term Kluger owners some further questions as i get to drive it around

feels bloody unreal

Hi Oms,

The price you got for your 12 mths Grande was great with low kms. There are probably more pros in buying a brand new car but on the other hand if you do your research and found the right used car with servicing history and low kms I guess its all worth it! Not to mention, the devaluation on brand new car seconds after you driven it out!

I bought my 2010 GrandeFWD 12mths ago with 44,000kms and to date it has been a robust transport machine. Overtaking in highways is a breeze and very comfortable to be in.

We are off to Gold Coast next months and travelling with my Kluger. Very much looking forward to it!

Sounds like you have made a good deal there Oms. Now to get the Kluger smile :-)

Check out after market sensors if you really need them. There are good ones out there and for heaps less than the ones carrying the Toyota brand.

Jonathan... I did a trip up to Brisbane & return just recently in my Kluger... fuel economy was brilliant as was the comfort of driving long distance in the Kluger. The only problem you will have is you will want to keep driving... :-)

Thanks for that David.. i really cant wait to get her home.. apparently we should be done by Thurs arvo or Friday with all the papwerork, rego + cheques etc.

Ill definitely pass on all my thoughts about the car and obviously will ask some of the longer term Kluger owners some further questions as i get to drive it around

feels bloody unreal

Hopefully you will have her by the weekend mate, my kluger still amazes me how well it goes and how good it is on fuel, Allways look forward to chatting to members about there kluger and new information, so look forward to chatting with you mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Good deal mate, got my self a KX-S a couple of weeks ago and the only problem I have is getting out of it. Just don't want to! :)