2.4 natural diesel to 2.8 turbo diesel. How hard?

Tough-Lux

G'day, My father and I own an 85 Toyota HiLux 4runner. It has the standard 2.4 natural diesel in it at the moment. But we want to put a 2.8 turbo diesel in it for a bit more power due to things we tow (dirtbikes, comp fourby etc) and were going to lift it and so forth. I have heard from different people that the 2.8 turbo diesel bolts straight in on the same engine mounts. If so is the bell housing and everything interchangeable? Or is there conversion kits needed? All help possible would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jake.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Should be fine i think, dont know your where abouts in Qld but i have some goodies for a 1990 2.8 diesel dual cab have a complete vehicle plus a very low km 2.8 motor done less than 80,000 km also the diff and gearbox and transfer have all had work done to them recond etc

If you know anyone who would be interested?? it was a project of mine but it went sour when i had an accident and now it is just sat there staring at me everytime i go to the garage, have extractors winch comp bullbar tow bars canopy that needs work excellent tub and more parts.

Cheers

Derek

• 1 month later...

you will HAVE to have the boost compensator on your inject pump to get it to go well. eware of excessive heat-these iron heads dont like too much. NB a works made turbo motor has less compression than aspirated, but it shouldn't matter much. Choose your turbo carefully, the std one has a plain brg, there is a ball bearing one avail from another source as aftermarket. Make certain it has an oil flow resrictor. Do use a turbo timer-cheap ones do work, but you need to be able to see any readout. Pyrometers are a good investment. Motors are direct swap-remember to use new clutch bearing on assembly, if not new clutch.

Edited by Manxman