Trouble going into Reverse & first!

Hey!

I've tried searching up on previous threads but couldn't find anything that can relate to the problem I've been having with my sportivo. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but here it is:

Every now & again occasionally (not always), when I attempt to put it in 1st to take off, it doesn't go in (kind of like it gets stuck)! I have to put it back in neutral, let go of the clutch completely then press it in & then it'll go into 1st. Sometimes, even after doing this, it'll be a rough shift into 1st.

This gets really frustrating at traffic lights because I have to keep it in first the whole time when at a stand still waiting for the light to go green!

With reverse, same issue.. When I'm reversing out of my driveway or getting out of a parking spot, if reverse doesn't go in the first time then I do the same thing. Put it in neutral, let go of the clutch, press the clutch in again & then it'll go into reverse.

Also when it comes to going from 1st to 2nd in lift, it doesn't want to get out of 1st so I've stopped hitting lift when taking off! (feels like it's stuck in first!) :(

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem please?

Could it be the clutch pedal needs readjusting?

Would the push rod need adjusting to fix this?

Or is it better for me fork out $3k-$4k & get an after market transmission, clutch & flywheel installed? (I hope this isn't the best solution)

stock clutch is rubbish. even with the aftermarket clutch it doesnt help with the shifting into 1st thing. i have it quite often too and i just learnt to live with it. c64 transmission is a bitch sometimes.

1st to 2nd lift? push rod needs adjusting. with reverse i always put it into any other gear before selecting reverse, mainly so it doesnt crunch being reverse a different cut to the main forward gears.

stock clutch is rubbish. even with the aftermarket clutch it doesnt help with the shifting into 1st thing. i have it quite often too and i just learnt to live with it. c64 transmission is a bitch sometimes.

1st to 2nd lift? push rod needs adjusting. with reverse i always put it into any other gear before selecting reverse, mainly so it doesnt crunch being reverse a different cut to the main forward gears.

I've been told push rod needs adjusting by my mechanic too & the shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd & so on will be smooth even when in high revs! I just haven't got around to it because of a busy schedule I have with summer units for uni & full time work. Probably book my mechanic in on the weekend & borrow someone's car while he does it.

I guess I just gota learn to live with it aye..? Damn! :/

But for future reference, if anyone does ever want to change the stock transmission & clutch of the facelift sportivo, what would be the most ideal transmission & clutch?

Might be ur clutch from 1st to 2nd.. But here's another question.. Where's your fictions point and how many k's u got ?

Try 3rd gear then reverse.. How's it then?...

The friction is pretty high on the pedal bud :/

There's only a little bit left to let go of the pedal when the clutch engages.. I was pretty astounded by this when I first bought the car about 2 months ago but the clutch is fine. It doesn't slip or anything & it's pretty grabby. Just engaging it into 1st & reverse is very rough like I described.

There's about a little over 88000kms on the clock. It came with log books & the previous owner used to take it Terry Shields Toyota to get it serviced. He gave me a full folder with all major & minor service receipts!

I've tried going from first to reverse & it's a just a tad smoother. No big difference than before though. I'll give 3rd then into reverse a go when I leave work today.

Could be your cables.. Or shifter?.. Stretched or something

reverse doesn't have a syncro..

So when u say it's hard to get into reverse.. Does it make it easier if the motor is off ??..

Who knows maybe It is ur clutch, not disengaging properly..

Just thinking ur reverse gear has a separate fork from first...

Could be your cables.. Or shifter?.. Stretched or something

reverse doesn't have a syncro..

So when u say it's hard to get into reverse.. Does it make it easier if the motor is off ??..

Who knows maybe It is ur clutch, not disengaging properly..

Just thinking ur reverse gear has a separate fork from first...

When the motor's off, it goes in nice & smoothly without any effort! I think it's the clutch not engaging properly when I first start it..

Cables aye..? :/

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Sydney region that can readjust the push rod? It'll be really helpful!

My mechanic keeps lagging it & telling me he'll do it but doesn't want to book me in! >.<

For the past week, before I go into 1st, I put it into 2nd then 1st.. It actually goes in much smoother!

Same deal with Reverse.. It's annoying but at least it doesn't ruin the box right..?

I was talking a couple mechanics & they were saying that if I get the box reconditioned along with a new clutch installed once my stocker clutch goes then it'll stop playing up.. Only thing is that my stocker clutch is good!