Land Cruiser Ute Towing Capacity

whishy

Hi Guys,

I stupidly purchased an old Land Cruiser Ute thinking it had the 3500KG towing capacity. It is an 87 Model HJ75 which unfortunately is at 2500KG.

Does anyone know in QLD what I have to do to have this capacity increased (If Possible?)

I am planning on heavily modifying this car as I purchased for the sole purpose of towing the boat on Fraser later this year (3.5t of it).

Thank you

Hi whishy, to be honest mate, and please dont take this the wrongway but to tow 2500kg would be a big enough strugle in a old hj75, let alone 3500kg, they simply havent got the power or torque, I towed with the later 75 series with 4.2 diesel with approx 2500kg and they really strugled on hills and would hate towing a big boat on the sand, let alone a 25 year old landcruiser.

The only way is maybe a v8 engine and someone who can enginear comply your vehicle to increase your gvm and towing capacity.

Sorry probadly not much help, hopefully someone on this forum can point you in the right direction.

Mate you hit the nail on the head and I should have specified.

The plan is to do a massive engine upgrade also. However, I chose the wrong Chassis by the looks of it lol!!

Can anyone tell me the GVM and the GCM for an 87 Cruiser?

Talk to lovells suspension the do gvm upgrades for a number of vehicle I doubt you will increase it to 3500kg though. I'd look At the later 80 series they were 3500kg wack on a turbo and chop it into a ute if need be.