Help required! Can't start car. Check VSC system mesage

IvanG

Hope somebody could help me.

I have Aurion Presara 2009 (with around 90k mileage) with keyless access and yesterday found that I can't start the car.

It has been driven by my wife somewhat like 30 minutes before me trying to start it.

When I push the Start button it activates all the lights in the dashboard as usual (and everything else at this point works as before), but instead of engine/starter kicking on, it makes vibrating/clicking sound (repeating with interval of about 4-8 clicks per second) in the engine compartment with no starter running/attempting to run. A second later the message "Check VCS system" appears.

I was reading across the internet that it might be either frozen car computer or low voltage in the battery.

Before I take it to the mechanic I would like to ask for your help if you know what I could do to the car.

Two options I was going to try tomorrow:

1. disconnect car battery for some time to reset/restart board computer. In this case I'm afraid if something get locked or would need some reset codes (which I am not aware of any)
  2. replace car battery (possible issues as above).

If you have any suggestions - please reply.

Edited by IvanG

Sounds like a battery problem, test that and check the terminals are clean and tight

I will be getting new battery tomorrow but was afraid of any complications if I replace it myself (e.g. will need reset codes to get it up). Any advise here?

I don't think it would be a battery thing. My first thought was starter motor. If anyone else knows better say so.

Thank you for the reply.

Possibly it is the starter but I can't tell now. The battery is original one supplied with the new car so it is around 3 years old and I was thinking replacing it won't hurt anyway.

The symptoms described are exactly what my Aurion did when the battery died, but testing it before buying a replacement wont hurt in case I'm wrong.

You will lose any presets in your sound system, but thats all.

The symptoms described are exactly what my Aurion did when the battery died, but testing it before buying a replacement wont hurt in case I'm wrong.

Did battery replacement caused any other issues? Did you replace it yourself?

I am sort of scared to find my car unusable if I replace the battery myself.

I have no issues doing that myself (was doing full car service to my previous Camry before) but this car if fulfilled with electronics and this is the doubt point for me.

Edited by IvanG

Did battery replacement caused any other issues? Did you replace it yourself?

I am sort of scared to find my car unusable if I replace the battery myself.

I have no issues doing that myself (was doing full car service to my previous Camry before) but this car if fulfilled with electronics and this is the doubt point for me.

Yes I replaced it myself (I do all my own maintenance) and it is very straightforward. To protect your electronics always disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last

Something similar happened to my 2008 ZR6 the other day at the video store. Pushed the button, everything lit up as usual, heard this rapid clicking sound. I did think my starter was bust, luckily the storage yard for the local towies was next door and he offered to tow me, but then we decided to see if it was a flat battery. The horn and lights actually still worked so I thought it was the starter....anyway, brings over the portable jumper and surprise surprise, car starts first push of the button. So try jump starting the car, see if that works. If not, try a new battery?

It was low battery. Jumpstarted it and all going well now. The frustration was the message "Check VSC System". I would expect "CHECK BATTERY" or similar

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I first had this problem on 28/10/13 ,my car alarm went off whilst the car was in the drive , couldn't start the car couldn't shut the alarm off , check vsc came up on dash , clicking sound when trying to start the car .

We had to disconnect the 2 white vsc fuses/ plugs to stop the alarm .put them back in and after that the car started .

then I left the car and went to bed I was going to check it in the morning , flat battery .

( I didn't know until that afternoon that my son came home late and said the car was running, it had started itself. he could only stop the car by pulling the vsc fuse/ plugs out. ) I had to call Toyota to come out they jumpstarted the car took it up to the service center they cleaned the teminals and checked the voltage , all good until last night ,

I couldn't open the car with the beeper , had to use the key , after a few goes it started , then when I arrived home the car wouldn't stop , we had to again pull out the 2 white vsc fuses/ plugs to stop it .then after putting them back in the car started first go this morning , it's now in for service .

Not a battery problem or fuel as my wife drove the car from Sydney to Wagga and back last weekend. I'll let you know how this goes when I get it back.

Very weird .

Cheers Tony

Just heard back from Toyota , they asked if I have had the windscreen replaced , yes in 2012 , they think that there could be a leak and it is dripping onto the wiring harness under the dash and creating a short , cars booked in tomorrow for a windscreen check.

Back from O'Briens they found a very small hole in the seal of the windscreen, car is now back at Toyota , cost so far is $316 , they now have to check the wiring harness for any shorts,

outside temp. was only showing 1degree when it's 32 , sat nav. jumping suburbs intermittently .car is starting ok and stopping.

More tomorrow.

Car picked up an hour ago , cost $ 442.78 , I'll be passing this onto O'Briens and see how I go .

Upshot , found water in wiring harness, requires water leak to be rectified and then wiring junction block to be dismantled cleaned and inspected for water damage .

windscreen resealed.

Dismantled junction block cleaned all terminals . Reassembled junction block and tested vehicle after repair . All good at time of inspection.

Glad to have the car back , rain next week in Sydney , another test .

Cheers Tony

• Like 1