Aftermarket/Upgrading Steering wheel

Hilux_Newbie

Hi

I have recently bought (a big impulse buy actually) a '94 Hilux SR5.

Being a techie I want to change the current piece of poo stereo that the previous owner had in it. I believe I have enough space for a 2Din 7" screen stereo. Which is not what I really want but it will be useful if I can change the steering wheel. Keep reading :)

Does anyone know where I can download any service manuals to look at and see what is behind the dash, before I pull it out? It seems that I need to pull out half the dashboard to be able to just replace the car stereo. Not too sure why but suspect back in 94 car stereos could have been slightly smaller.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I would LOVE to replace the steering wheel with one that has radio controls. I do not need cruise control (although it would be nice) but I suspect it is not possible on a 2.8L manual diesel engine.

I had a look online (ebay, gumtree, etc) but have not been able to find anything that I could work with.

I was wondering if there is anyone that has done this before. Replaced the steering wheel with one that has radio control buttons (volume up, down, mute, source, etc). If I can find one, I would be more included to replace the car stereo with one that has the ability to be controlled by the steering wheel buttons. I would be happy to put another model's steering wheel if I knew it fits.

Thanks a lot in advance fellow Hilux owners.

George

• 5 months later...

Hilux_newbie - your vehicle's steering wheel would use a contact ring for allowing the horn to work. Newer vehicles that have steering wheel controls and airbags etc use a clockspring which cannot be easily retrofitted to yours. Whilst you may be able to fit a later model steering wheel, the only real chance of fitting steering wheel controls is to use a remote control setup that clips onto the steering wheel and thus isn't hardwired.
Ie something like this. You'd have to do your own research to see whether your stereo system would work with it.

Khansaq - Fitting a clockspring from a newer model Hilux, as well as the steering wheel with radio controls, is all you'd have to do. Expect about $150 for the clockspring (give or take, aftermarket) and whatever you can find the steering wheel + airbag combo. You may also need to run a few wires depending on your current stereo, as it differs from model to model. Very possible, but likely somewhat expensive.