Problem with fuel pump/filter

philb29

Hi,

Just recently I've done my petrol filter, and lately I've been getting issue consistently when having the tank filled up to about 3/4 n above

where I get a massive petrol smell of petrol, now I have accidently over tensioned one bolt out of the 8 that goes into the intank filter n

snapped it I'm wondering is this the cause of the smell for one bolt. I have used sicaflex all around the sides of top part where it seals but don't think thats the problem

am I going to have to find some bizarre solution to that one bolt could it be causing all those problems or something else?

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be or am I going to have to drill it out or something?

Thanks Phil.

Well you have to find out if there is a leak from the top part of the intank fuel filter. Because you have already broke one of the bolt, it may not seal perfectly and may cause tiny leak causing petrol smell in the car. Take off your rear seat and drive and look for the leak. The rubber seal used for intank fuel filter is more important than sikaflex under the seat.

And if you have snapped the head of the bolt and bolt thread is still screwed in, using a small drill bit and a drill may able to get it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever noticed the pressure when removing the fuel cap at the servo, well that pressure will be forcing it's way past the weak spot. New bolt and seal required.

Well you have to find out if there is a leak from the top part of the intank fuel filter. Because you have already broke one of the bolt, it may not seal perfectly and may cause tiny leak causing petrol smell in the car. Take off your rear seat and drive and look for the leak. The rubber seal used for intank fuel filter is more important than sikaflex under the seat.

And if you have snapped the head of the bolt and bolt thread is still screwed in, using a small drill bit and a drill may able to get it out.

Just thinking using a small drill bit, and an electric drill! might not be the best option EG: petrol fumes and sparks from the motor on the Drill.

You might just lose some Hair on your arm.

Cheers.

• Like 1