2003 Toyota Camry Breaking problem

Reezas

I own a 2003 Toyota Camry sportivo four cylinder sedan with only 66,000km. The car has four wheel disc brakes and ABS.

About a year ago, I started to notice a shutter so the disks were machined and got new disk pads no problem with that.

Few months later I started to notice that there was excessive travel in the brake pedal. . That is, the pedal will travel an excessive distance before there is any braking action. Being an old chap my dad who always maintained my car himself, and diagnosed and repaired most problems, We concluded that the problem was the master cylinder because when stopped at a light, the brake pedal would continue to go down. Incidentally, there has been no loss of brake fluid since I bought the car late 2010 with 36,000km (I am second owner).

Recently, I had the master cylinder replaced, and learned that we are not as car-smart as we thought. There is slight to no improvement in the pedal travel problem at lights. Also in the mornings / after leaving my car sit for hrs I have issues with the breaks straight away (excessive travel distance in pedal) and sometimes think the car won't stop down my driveway ;I have tried to correct the problem by pumping the brakes as I back out of my driveway to engage everything but doesn't always help, the breaks slightly work but will then correct itself 100 m down the rd when the breaks actually start to work properly and stop with the lightest touch of the pedal , we have bleed breaks again but can not find a solution.

Do you have any idea of the cause my problem?

Is not Camry famous for its soft brake pedal? I tried same flashing fluid etc. however it still stayed soft.

Edited by bathuu

• 3 weeks later...

The same thing when you have you ride without start you engine , push the brake pedal again and again the pedal itself will become harder and harder then stop at a level .

That's not bleeding the brakes, it's just the vacuum being depleted in the brake booster....

• 1 month later...

You try carrying out warranty watch, good luck

???

Warrant "watch"? Warranty was never mentioned in this thread anyway (and would have run out considering it's a 2003 model)....

Spambot Patrol on alert...

• 2 months later...

I'd be looking at the vacuum booster or the check valve on the booster. BTW, I recommend you take your car to a shop for bleeding ABS system. It's not really feasible for an individual. Squirt soapy water on the brake lines when the car is running in park and with the brakes applied. If you see any bubbles, you will have a leak and need to fix the leak.

I'd be looking at the vacuum booster or the check valve on the booster. BTW, I recommend you take your car to a shop for bleeding ABS system. It's not really feasible for an individual. Squirt soapy water on the brake lines when the car is running in park and with the brakes applied. If you see any bubbles, you will have a leak and need to fix the leak.

Yes sounds like a booster problem check your vacum line for leaks and the valve good luck and let us know if you find the fault cheers.