Aftermarket timing belt/kit for hilux 5l diesel

pogonantha

Hi guys,

Its time to replace the timing belt and I would prefer to use genuine parts for this however I have been quoted about $300 by local dealer (because there are 2 pulleys instead of the usual 1 on most other models)..I searched ebay and found a Bosch kit for $130 posted...big difference in price at a time when I'm really strapped for every doller...

Is there any risk in the aftermarket product..?

Scott

There are basically 2 good makers of cam belts for most cars in Oz, and if your belt is made by either then how much do you want to pay is the only valid question, unless your warrany is still required. They are: Dalco (Dayco?) & Gates. Both are available as OEM and after-market. I paid $15- in Perth WA 5 yrs ago to get a 240 volvo estate cam belt. new, retail, not on sale/NOS. It was a Gates. Worked perfectly.

Tensioners have to be good. Bosch are a good brand, rarely have problems with quality. If genuine Bosch, or german made rather than Oz made-should be more than adequate. Don't forget to reset the belt change counter in the speedo when finished, and write in permanent, prominent fashion when done/next due under bonnet somewhere AND in service history AND your personal diary.

Edited by Manxman