Custom Intake Box

Hey guys

Im a new guy here and yes I drive a 7th gen Celica.

But I heard one of you guys have a sri with a custom intake box. Basically I just wanted to get an idea of how to get an idea of what it may look like and performance gains from it.

I'll be having a cold air feed as well to ensure there is always cold air flowing into the intake,

I suppose everyone who's installed an SRI or CAI has Danthuyer? :rolleyes:

No offence, I'm just not really getting the point of the question?

I really don't see anything wrong with someone being a little inventive and trying the DIY route.

Hey

All the 7th gen guys either have an unshielded sri or an actual cai intake. I'm just trying to be a little diff here.

I thought someone here had a blitz intake with a customised box. Pretty sure it was someone with a sportivo, but not sure. I was sure it was a corolla, thats why I posted here. Just wanted to see how his/hers looks and how functional it is.

Anyone know who I'm talking about? Can't remember the guy's username. I'm pretty sure it was a blitz sri though.... Maybe he'll be in a past post. I'll have a search through it.

Danthuyer: I'm not too sure what you're trying to say? Im after an opinion or an idea help with a diy idea i've been playing around with. Are you trying to say the intakes on newer cars have about the same pressure as one a pod?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see the benifit in fitting an SRI unless your going to seal the thing in a box and fit a scoop.

You have to remember that the intake wants cool air, nice cool air. Fitting an SRI may be benificial in some factors, but leaving it in the vacinity of the standard air box, without giving it a feed of cool air, is almost defeating the purpose of havin it there.

I can't do it because I am broke and married :P but i'd love to see someone chomp a hole in their bonnet and fit a scoop that does this....

If I decide to go down the sri route, I will be sealing the whole thing up, and feeding it air from where my fog light is meant to be. I took the heat into consideration. I was thinking of putting insulator around the custom box as well to keep it cooler.ome guy in the US wrapped his with fridge insulation and experienced temp drops.

Nice set up there JC, but I don't think it was yours.

Heres the pic of my engine bay. Compared to you guys, my intake sits at the front of the car.

Like I said, I think it was stockvvti's that someone was talking to me about.

post-1432-1131149665_thumb.jpg

For celica owners who wish to get SRI, you should look for Rod Millen Motorsport set up, its a true cold air but short ram. They test this, and they lost 8hp down low but gain 8hp up, but i guess being a top end machine, the 2zz-ge would feel no diff down low since most of the time u make your power up top.

Yes its StockVVti that have the shrouded box with Blitz SRI.

that is true, then again, it depends on how you wanted it to be I guess. I meant, if you're like one of the hi-rev nuts who wants top end, this is the way to go.

The report says they didn't even feel that 8hp loss down below. You guys can check it out on sports compact magazine online for their project celica.

For CAI, Monkey Wrench Racing said the Injen CAI is not good if you don't tune the car, but the AEM website shows a nice gain right from below all the way up.

that is true, then again, it depends on how you wanted it to be I guess. I meant, if you're like one of the hi-rev nuts who wants top end, this is the way to go.

The report says they didn't even feel that 8hp loss down below. You guys can check it out on sports compact magazine online for their project celica.

For CAI, Monkey Wrench Racing said the Injen CAI is not good if you don't tune the car, but the AEM website shows a nice gain right from below all the way up.

this is true the Injen gives up some bottom end to the AEM, but surpases it in the Top end

Interesting... Ill have to look into the rod millen one. I would hate to lose power down low, since there isnt much power there to start off with!

I'm looking for overall drivablity, so the low end gains are more important to me than high end gains. Its not like i'll be hitting lift every second

Still looking into the options though. Whats the chance of hydro locking in vic? The bypass valve for the cais don't even work on the celicas, dont know about the corolla though.

If there is a high-medium chance, Im gonna have to make a shroud for the sri!

Edit: The Rod Millen intake looks interesting. Its got a nice heatshield, but lookins at it, improvements can still be made from it, like having a cold air feed for it, or something along those lines.

Edited by 7th Gen SX

i just wish DAMN trd would make a cai!!! they make 1 for corollas why not a celica...mmm i wonder if the trd corolla cai fits a celica? same engine but i just dont know about where the corolla piping goes

i just wish DAMN trd would make a cai!!! they make 1 for corollas why not a celica...mmm i wonder if the trd corolla cai fits a celica? same engine but i just dont know about where the corolla piping goes

You no what peeps...here's a simple and probably a stupid question.

With CAIs, what is it about them that actually gives you more power???

Is it the pipping? or the Air Pod itself???

I've got a Custom SRI made for my 2003 corolla. But my pod is a TFI (Generic $30 brand from autobarn) now I would like to know if I should buy a K&N Extreme Top Filter for $70??? Now my cousin is saying that its a waste of money and that I should just stick with my TFI Pod, since it does the job anyway. Now his into the modifying cars too...so he knows alot about Mods.

So should I stick with my Pod or buy the K&N???

I've got a Custom SRI made for my 2003 corolla. But my pod is a TFI (Generic $30 brand from autobarn) now I would like to know if I should buy a K&N Extreme Top Filter for $70??? Now my cousin is saying that its a waste of money and that I should just stick with my TFI Pod, since it does the job anyway. Now his into the modifying cars too...so he knows alot about Mods.

Bear in mind, that with K&N, when looking after them, they are guarenteed for a million km's....

Bear in mind, that with K&N, when looking after them, they are guarenteed for a million km's....

Yeah I know about the Million K Gaurantee...but are you just paying for the name brand??? I'm just curious for a piece of cotton and wire mesh shaped into a cone, and it's got the brand K&N it justify the price tag of $70 - $100???

Or the cheaper generic brand??? I mean if they do the same job and same gains then whats the point??? TFI or K&N???