Accident : No Airbag??

oh well im over it

to save everyone winging i decided not to put the steering wheel on

but question

if you bought a car without airbags would you be so damn worried about them then

i think NOT so why should it matter if somone takes the airbags OUT of a car then

I have driven cars more without airbags than with. I don't worry about it because they can't be retro-fitted to my old XD falcon.

So you are correct evl_50a, sort of.

If I can afford to buy a car with airbags, then I do (I only wish side airbags were an option for stivo)

I'm actullay thining of a Yaris (SHHH) cos for $680 extra you can get side & curtain & knee bags for a total of 7.

The difference being, if you pull a perfectly good airbag out, you are choosing to injure yourself a lot more, and mabye even make the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE- death, to have a nice looking steering wheel.

If your that keen, then perhaps look for an aftermarket wheel that your airbag module can go into, prob not cheap though, but what price do you put on betting you will NEVER have a head-on smash??

I don't intend on having one, but you cant rely on everyone else to drive ok!!

But it's a free country, and everyone will die of something........

the good thing about that lil girl that got hit in rolla is that she doesnt have to pay 1.4(atleast) to replace those 2 airbags. imagine all the airbags in a yaris going off...

did some1 say there was 7 airbags? 7x700 = 4900 thats at repairers price and has not yet included labor costs.

so if you crashed a yaris hypothetically your fault. on the front left corner ----bang---- all your airbags go off... thats atleast 4900 bux to fix.. concidering the panel damage included in that crash......

your cutting close to "repairable WRITE OFF"

:rolleyes:

but its all hypothetical

im a car auction freek so i know how to judge estimated repair costs :lol:

however when safety comes first.. get the yaris B) (thats if you have "deep pockets")

Edited by Mello

Are most of us here insured??

The way some talk, it sounds like we are not insured and will be paying for repairs??

The Yaris would be expensive to fix for sure, chances are in a major accident with 7 bags going off- it would be a write-off anyway.

For me, that is what insurance is for, its their problem if the car is expensive to fix, their 'deep pockets", also if it is my fault, it just doesn't matter. That's why i highly recommend insurance.

Are most of us here insured??

The way some talk, it sounds like we are not insured and will be paying for repairs??

The Yaris would be expensive to fix for sure, chances are in a major accident with 7 bags going off- it would be a write-off anyway.

For me, that is what insurance is for, its their problem if the car is expensive to fix, their 'deep pockets", also if it is my fault, it just doesn't matter. That's why i highly recommend insurance.

I don't think anyone is doubting the benefit of appropriate insurance, but the fact is that anything that costs your insurance company will ultimately cost you in higher premiums.

And I'm not directing this at you or anyone else personally, but it would seem that a lot of people have the attitude that its the insurer's problem, they don't have to worry even if its their fault, etc ... and they then drive accordingly! <_<

Why I didn't do this earlier, I don't know, but here is the official word:

"The SRS front airbags will deploy if the severity of the impact is above the designed threshold level, comparable to an approximate 30 km/h (18 mph) collision when impacting straight into a fixed barrier that does not move or deform."

"However, this threshold velocity will be considerably higher if the vehicle strikes an object, such as a parked vehicle or sign pole, which can move or deform on impact ..."

Thats taken from the Toyota Corolla Owner's Manual, page 57 for those of you playing at home.

Point taken with the "insurance- it's not my problem" Buddha, and in some cases you are right.

The reason I dislike this perspective, is not because I don't care about insurance preimums, but I look at the real picture here of how it happens.

Let's say the stivo or yaris with 7 bags goes off in an accident, chances are it is a serious one, chances are you will have some sort of injuries from the accident, mabye major. The last thing i will be thinking of when I woke up in hospital would be my insurance preimum, I'd just be happy to be alive.

AND, 7 airbags or 2 airbags, you WILL STILL HAVE TO MAKE A CLAIM anyway.

Chances are with 2 bags or 7, if they go off for accident over 30kph, you car could be a write off anyway, even with NO bags.

When someone needs treatment for cancer for example, do you find out what each person is going to bill you for before you proceed?? Do you weigh up the costs with the chance there will be no gains??

If you did, by this post rationale so far, you would say to yourself: $6,000 for a CHANCE to live, hmm, it's only a chance, and is a lot of money, I think I'll just die instead.

I'm a careful driver, has anyone done defensive driving course to get a discount off their preimums?? Worked for me, and it taught me a lot in car control as well, which has saved my

a s s several times!!

If you guys are really serious about safety, do EVERYTHING you can (training) to avoid an accident in the first place, and if it does happen, try to be as safe as possible when it does.

Jim Murcott has a $99 special for level 1 defensive driving at the moment.

I did my stage 2 this week, and can highly recommend it.

The air bag probably didnt go off because the front end of the car absorbed most of the impact..

for the airbags to go off the impact must of been more than it was...

I was watching a 5th Gear on FOX and they drove a 95 model Reneault into a 2005 Reneault at around 70 km/h head on.

The airbags in the 2005 model did not go off as the car had absorbed most of the impact (think they are called crumple zones)...yet the part of the car that triggers the airbags were still intact.

The result of the experiment showed that even though the airbags went off in the older car...the test dummies were in a position to say they no one in the older car would of survived the crash..however because the newer car absorbed the impact the passengers of that car would of survived easily.

Don’t forget the cost of Pre-tensioner seat belt replacement. :blink:

I think the 3 month old golf was 1500 for Drivers airbag, 2500 for the passenger and $900 for the replacement of the seatbelt and pre-tensioner.....then there was the damage. :rolleyes:

I would never buy a car without airbags again. :P

hmm the more i read and hear im begining to think air bags are pretty important

but i might be buying an old school car soon for project that wont have airbags oh well

i live NOW not in FEAR of the FUTURE

lol jokes

RuNx,

Im in Vic, thats where Jim Murcott has the courses, I had mine at Sandown, and got to do 6 laps!!

Much fun!!.

Old school is cool, even without airbags Evl_50a! Put simply, lack of airbags wont stop me from getting my 1600 Datsun rally-weapon one day!!

But as a daily driver, I reckon airbags are just (relativley) cheap insurance against cracking your skull at mid-speed accidents.

thats how i feel

im not gonna be stopped buying a car just cus it hasent got air bags

but to keep people happy im gonna leave my driver airbag in my stivo and not change to a performance steering wheel

instead im gettng standard 1 re trimed

Point taken with the "insurance- it's not my problem" Buddha, and in some cases you are right.

The reason I dislike this perspective, is not because I don't care about insurance preimums, but I look at the real picture here of how it happens.

Let's say the stivo or yaris with 7 bags goes off in an accident, chances are it is a serious one, chances are you will have some sort of injuries from the accident, mabye major.  The last thing i will be thinking of when I woke up in hospital would be my insurance preimum, I'd just be happy to be alive.

AND, 7 airbags or 2 airbags, you WILL STILL HAVE TO MAKE A CLAIM anyway.

Chances are with 2 bags or 7, if they go off for accident over 30kph, you car could be a write off anyway, even with NO bags.

When someone needs treatment for cancer for example, do you find out what each person is going to bill you for before you proceed?? Do you weigh up the costs with the chance there will be no gains??

If you did, by this post rationale so far, you would say to yourself: $6,000 for a CHANCE to live, hmm, it's only a chance, and is a lot of money, I think I'll just die instead.

I'm a careful driver, has anyone done defensive driving course to get a discount off their preimums?? Worked for me, and it taught me a lot in car control as well, which has saved my

a  s    s  several times!!

If you guys are really serious about safety, do EVERYTHING you can (training) to avoid an accident in the first place, and if it does happen, try to be as safe as possible when it does.

Jim Murcott has a $99 special for level 1 defensive driving at the moment.

I did my stage 2 this week, and can highly recommend it.

I'm not worried about premiums either, because I work for an insurer and get a discount! :D

I actually read an interesting article last week, talking about the high cost of injuries in car accidents ... the roads are supposed to be better, the drivers are supposed to be better, but people keep getting injured.

But I have a theory ... all these people are getting injured because airbags are allowing them to get away with injury rather than death. We therefore shouldn't moan about the cost of injuries, but be happy that a life was saved where previously it might not have been.

That is Buddha's wise words for today. :P

oh great now that i mentioned it EVERYNE will do it

DAMN

lol

im jelous discount on insurance hehe

Yeah, but it'd be better if we weren't already one of the higher charging companies! <_<

• 3 months later...

Hi all, as some of you know...my rolla just got written off this week. I hit someone on tuesday night on my way home, driving tired. I was going straight at a round about and there was a car going straight too from my right. Anyway, i looked right and didn't see him so i drove forward and bang..i hit him on the passenger door...

my car is now written off...will be posting up some pics real soon. By the way, my airbag didn't deploy too, i was travelling at around 50-60km..i think..not really sure..