DBA catalogue wrong on YN58 brake rotors

bluemountains

Just rebuilt the front brakes on my YN58, but not without a bit of stress. Turns out the Disc Brakes Australia catalogue calls out the wrong rotor for this yoot.

The DBA online catalogue specifies DBA156 for YN58R- this is a 255mm diameter rotor.

post-32931-0-70963100-1373721559_thumb.j

wrong wrotor!

post-32931-0-89543100-1373721665_thumb.j

wright wrotor!

The rotors on my YN58 are 247mm diameter.

There is a YN57R (with the 1998cc 3Y engine), built through 10/87, which uses a 247mm dia rotor.DBA catalogue specifies DBA781 rotors for this application- but they no longer supply it.

My YN58R with a 2237cc 4Y engine, was built in 9/87. It appears to have been among the first in the YN58 series to be built and was equipped with brakes from the prior series.

Burson Auto Parts were kind enough to search up some suitable rotors and delivered them to my house, 25km from their Penrith shop.

The moral of the story is to measure your old rotors and be sure the ones you're being given will suit your yoot.

Cheers

Brian

Edited by bluemountains

• 3 months later...

I have also fallen victim to the same problem whilst trying to find shoes for my rear drums. I also have a yn58r with the 4y-c, but mins a month younger at 10/87. On the 3rd attempt at buying shoes, I took the old ones into super cheap and looked though the Catelog for one that matches. Turns out that the shoes for the yn58 are from the previous yn57, just like your front discs.

Was an annoying experience, having to wait for them to be freighted in each time.

I'm not sure why Toyota did this- might have been using up existing parts stocks from the previous production run.

Since the wear parts are from the previous series, you can also surmise that other parts like front brake calipers & brackets as well as rear drum brake wheel cylinders etc. will similarly be from the previous series- they'd have to be, so everything will fit together.

The brakes may be the only oddity. Engine, gearbox & electricals on my YN58 all seem to be per YN58 specification, but... your mileage may vary. Take your old part to the auto parts store when ordering new stuff.

bluemountains:

Since you have the same motor as me, is there any chance you could do me a favour?

I'm just wondering if you could take some detailed photos of the vacuum hose layout in your motor and post/pm to me, because I'm having a little trouble following the diagram, especially the ones on the side of the carby between the motor and the carby.

If you could, that would be awesome.

Sure, I'll have a go. It's a real rats' nest of vacuum lines- I don't know how well they'll photograph- but hopefully you will find out what you need to know.

Keep in mind that mine is an automatic, so routing may be different to manual transmission models.

OK, took some photos, they're here. Proximity to stuff screwed up the autofocus on the camera, sorry, nothing I can do about it. Also, forgot to mention that my YN58 has LPG installed (you see the liquid->gas phase converter in one shot), which may also affect routing.

A better way to go is probably to buy an aftermarket service manual (Haynes etc) which has a vacuum line routing schematic.

Cheers for that. I'll have a look at the pics shortly. Mine is also setup for LPG too, but is manual.

I do have a copy of the Gregory's service manual for it, but it doesn't have the diagram in it. I do have the original bonnet sticker diagram and one I found online too, but they are not very descriptive of what goes where on the carby itself.

Oh, OK. It appears to be a crankcase ventilation valve, although a rather fancy one.

It controls the removal of blow-by gases (those which have gotten past the piston rings) from the engine and diverts them to the intake manifold so they can be combusted and sent out through the cat converter, rather than just released to a) smell bad in the passenger compartment and B) release unburned hydrocarbons to the atmosphere.

Always thinkin', those Toyota boffins. ;)

Edited by bluemountains