In-Car PSP mod

SuiCid3

Hey guys, in case any of you frequent the OCAU forums and have missed my mod thread.

Note: You need to register to read if you're not a member already.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=422363

I'm really interested in a completely new mod of my PSP to replace my car stereo.

In other words, an ULTIMATE car entertainment unit. :)

Copied from my last post which included some pictures and short explanations.

You need to read the full thread to understand most of my ideas.

At the moment, no I'm not looking at playing games on it.

But I would like to make it easier to mod it a bit later on so my girlfriend can play while she's a passenger.

Took some pics while I was at work to give you guys a better idea of it.

Sorry if they're low quality... was in a rush. :)

1. Below:

The red circle denotes the connector for the part below. What is it? It's the Home/Volume/Brightness/Select/Start buttons. They are all integrated onto the one section.

Click to view full-sized image!

2. Below:

Inside the red square are the LCD connectors. You can see that one long brown piece of flexi cable funnels into 2 smaller sections. One is about 5mm, the other is about 3cm.

The topmost circle denotes the laser connection. The lower one is to power the DC motor of the laser (the thing that spins the UMD).

3. Below:

The first picture shows the PSP face down. You can see the back of the LCD and how it connects to the mainboard (see above picture as well). You can also see the UMD tray is open. 

The second picture shows the PSP face down again.

But this time, the LCD is standing vertically (still connected). The length of the flexi from the LCD allows it to stay this way without and room to spare.

As you can see from the first picture, if the LCD is standing vertically, it will block the UMD tray.

Now from the picture in 2, you may be able to see how I could possibly bring the UMD tray around so it sits under the LCD in it's vertical position (Pic. 3).

BUT, it won't sit underneath comfortably without having to twist it's connectors in awkward ways, and I'm not sure how healthy that will be for the life of the laser.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a simple mechanism that has a solder point on the side the UMD tray was originally on. This mechanism is simply pushed down when a UMD is inserted.

This push down action completes the circuit to allow the DC motor to spin, therefore allowing the system to read the UMD.

4. Below:

The red squares: On the right is the directional buttons. On the left you have the action buttons (X, O, etc).

The red circle on the left is where the D-Pad goes (the analog stick). On the right of that circle you should be able to see 4 small squares with dots in the middle of each square. This is where some kind of silicon sits, with 4 short wires going through it to touch the copper squares below. I'm still not exactly sure how this works yet.

The red circle on the right is the DC port (power). This will probably be the easiest to mod. The port only has 2 wires soldered on, which runs behind the mainboard, then plugs into a similar connector that the LCD and laser has.

The blue square at the top are the LCD connectors again.

The blue circles below are the speaker connectors. As you should be able to see, both of the connectors have only 2 wires running from them (+ & -).

This is also how the power cable looks like.

The metal chassis you see is just the frame the LCD sits on. I'm thinking I can use this to hold the LCD in place somehow.

Below all this you can see sections of the mainboard.

5. Below:

The red squares are the directional and action buttons again. You can't see it too clearly, but both of these sections have their own PCB's. You can see the cables connecting them (Directional - top right. Action - fat white flexi cable).

The blue squares show the sections of the D-Pad. You can see those 4 squares I was talking about earlier. The square below is where that silicon thing is held.

You can also see a black wire running across the mainboard. This connects to another seperate PCB under the mainboard (to the left of the picture). This is where the memory card reader is. Also where the WiFi On/Off button is. I think the black cable is some kind of reception amplifier, as it runs across to the right of the PSP and is connected to yet ANOTHER PCB.

Anyways.. that's all I have at the moment.

Will post some more tomorrow if anyone is still interested. :)

Edited by SuiCid3

id liek to see it fully installed

There's an in-car PSP holder you can buy. And you can connect your PSP to your CD player. This is not for the stock CD player of course. You need to buy a CD player with a audio connection that your PSP can plug straight into.

Pulling apart the PSP is complicated and crazy. I don't want to stuff things up man.

I thinking of replacing my stock CD player with the PSP as well. Will post some pics when I've done it! :P

id liek to see it fully installed

There's an in-car PSP holder you can buy. And you can connect your PSP to your CD player. This is not for the stock CD player of course. You need to buy a CD player with a audio connection that your PSP can plug straight into.

Pulling apart the PSP is complicated and crazy. I don't want to stuff things up man.

I thinking of replacing my stock CD player with the PSP as well. Will post some pics when I've done it! :P

Is it possible to use the PSP as a LCD monitor connected to a DVD headunit ??

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

Just finished hookin up my psp ..

had to get a cable for the HU coz it dosent have AUX in ... so I used the cd changer input with the help of a cable ...

then bought a mount from EB (they are on sale at the moment ... games and movies and accessories 25% and 50% off )... the ones that have the suction cap ....

I uncrewed the arm just to leave the psp holder ..

then bunnings supplied a 90degree bracket ... which I bent a little to get the angle I wanted ...

then 2 screws later ... wah lah ! ..

psp10km.jpg

psp21ki.jpg

psp33kd.jpg

if anybody wants more help to do this or has suggestions ... let me know ! ..

Jase .. out !

Very very sexual Eggie. I'm all for having electric gadgets etc in the car like Tommo's Carputer. I installed my iPod interface the other day and mounted the iPod all cool-like, it's sick!

Keep up the good work audio visual buffs