Belt tensioner

troubled

I've seen the belt tensioner flicker at idle on my dad's presara for a few weeks now, during idle it would make what I can only describe as ticking noises while it bounces back and forth, if you give the engine a rev and hold it at any rev that is more than idle then the noise and vibration from tensioner stops.

Over the weekend we decided to change the tensioner, contrary to the service manual the bumper, radiator etc does not need to come off. What needs to come off are:

• left wheel apron and the exntending piece;
  • v-bank cover;
  • top radiator cover;
  • air cleaner assembly;
  • top hose going into radiator;
  • Exhaust cover;
  • Fan assembly;
  • thermostat housing (probably not needed if you have small hands);
  • alternator; and
  • air con compressor (but don't disconnect it)

Then you will see the 5 bolts holding the tensioner. There's no need to disconnect the a/c compressor, just moving it out of the way is sufficient. There were no tricks involved, just lots of time spending working out what was going on. The whole job took about 7 hours from start to finish but realistically it should take about 3. There's a rear bracket on the alternator which took me about a half hour to figure out, should have referred to the manual but I'm not one for instructions. If I was the whole radiator, bumper would have been removed.

Tensioner on it's own cost about $360 (Ryde Toyota), I was quoted $900 for labour by Toyota. A mechanic elsewhere said he was unable to quote until he does the job and how much time was spent but his estimate for labour was $500. In hindsight, should have done the water pump too.

Good luck if you're going to have a crack at it!