Kluger Audio Visual Unit with Satellite Navigation

Crowdedhour

I am thinking of replacing my Centre Dash Audio Unit (2013 Kluger KX-S) with the Audio Visual Unit with Satellite

Navigation shown in Toyota's Kluger Accessories.
Unfortunately they don’t really give much information about the Sat. Nav. features of the unit other than basic stuff.

Does anyone who may have installed the Sat. Nav. Audio Unit (or have it as part of their standard equipment ie Altitude

owners) know if it has features such as Road Speed display, Speed Limit, Red Light and other Radar Speed warnings, Distance yet to travel, Estimated Arrival
Time etc?

Also, is it a good Unit .. reliable etc?

Edited by Crowdedhour

Hi, just got my car a couple of days ago and haven't had a real chance to play with the SatNav in detail but here's what I know so far.

Road Speed display,- Yes

Speed Limit, - Yes

Red Light and other Radar Speed warnings, - Haven't checked for this.

Distance yet to travel, - Yes

Estimated Arrival - Yes

Also gives turn by turn instructions, altitude, and other bits and pieces. But yeah sorry, haven't even done 50kms in the new car yet to really test it out ;P

Hi , i have it in mine (KXR 2013 model) , and i just love it! , it has many more features then what i would ever use.It has the choice of 2 female and 1 male voice , i picked the male voice as i found him a lot easier to listen too......lol :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Laurie,

Took delivery of a new 2013 KX-S Jan 2nd. Had said SatNav option fitted. In addition to Sam's reply it displays the street numbers as you go. Also has Bluetooth, I believe that if you have a smartphone the SatNav will update traffic conditions via the smart phone. The audio/satnav also will play video and has a USB 2,0 plug which can be used for playing music and I believe also video. Have only done a couple of hundred Km but am off on a holiday trip shortly that will add a couple of thousand Km. Am a long time Toyota owner, have had previously a 60 Series LandCruiser wagon, 80 Series Turbo Diesel GLX LandCruiser Wagon (now 24 yrs old and still going as good as the day I purchased it, have also had a 2002 Avalon and just traded a 2008 Aurion Presara in on this Kluger. Thus far, love the Kluger, excellent ride and very quiet.

Regards

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Trevor. Only just came back from trip and noticed your comment. I ended up buying the Onboard Audio/Sat Nav. and am reasonably happy with it. Only thing I can't find on it yet (and there are many features I have yet to explore) is the Road Speed Display that Sam mentioned in his reply. I have the Fixed Radar, Red Light Speed Radar and all other warnings set and they work fine. Also have the Speed Limit warning set which works well but can't find a setting to show the Road Speed as you drive. Would be handy to know. Do you have it set on yours?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Trevor. Only just came back from trip and noticed your comment. I ended up buying the On-board Audio/Sat Nav. and am reasonably happy with it. Only thing I can't find on it yet (and there are many features I have yet to explore) is the Road Speed Display that Sam mentioned in his reply. I have the Fixed Radar, Red Light Speed Radar and all other warnings set and they work fine. Also have the Speed Limit warning set which works well but can't find a setting to show the Road Speed as you drive. Would be handy to know. Do you have it set on yours?

Hi Laurie,

Sorry for the late reply. Things have been quite hectic since we arrived back from holidays. As you have already deduced there is no readout of your instantaneous speed. I am rather disappointed that a $2000 high end Sat Nav doesn't show something as basic as your actual speed. Particularly so when the speedo reads low by several Klm/hr. Just prior to Christmas I purchased a Tom Tom GO 600 for our Land Cruiser and I must say that for $269 works just great and displays your actual speed.

I have noticed with the Toyota accessory Sat Nav, when it displays the speed limit for where you are it is shown in a filled in white disc with a red outline with the speed limit in black. If you exceed that speed limit the indicted number turns red and then if you exceed the upper speed limit that you have input in the settings, the colour of the back ground disc turns red. There is very little information about this in the Sat Nav manual, well, if there is I have yet to find it.

During our trip there were a couple of times that the speed limit was shown as 60 klm/hr when it should have been indicating 110 klm/hr, this was out in the middle of no where on our return trip from Adelaide to Broken Hill. Also, when we were still over 100 klm from home the trip duration and arrival time were indicating that were had arrived home.

The voice over for the turn by turn instructions is quite annoying as the first letter of the street or road seems to be repeated twice so ends up being sort of garbled.

The Aurion Pressara that we traded in for the Kluger, of course had a Sat Nav as standard and had none of the vagaries of this accessory unit. Coming up shortly we have trips to Adelaide and Melbourne. To have a better idea of our speed I intend mounting the Tom Tom GO 600 in the Kluger.

Regards

Trevor

• 6 months later...

Hi Trevor

I own a 2013 awd kluger altitude and have similar issues with speed zones, driving to qld on Newell hyw tell me its 100 in 110 zone.

Doesn't help Toyota maps are out-dated and 18 months behind but they wont tell you this. I find the voice recognition is useless at most time, as for time of arrival we were still like 7 hrs out of surfers yet it was telling us 19hrs away and that's after 14 hours of driving.

While in surfers I was getting signal 2 levels underground , but once out of underground car park within 30 seconds lost signal and after 8 minutes screen froze, took pics and vids of this to show my dealer back home but even this isn't enough proof for Toyota, now they are trying to bully me by telling me they need my car in Melbourne so they can drive around and add to clock to try get it to do what it done in qld and parts of nsw and rural vic

I suggest people don't buy Toyota satnav as you will end up going crazy , its taken numerous attempts for Toyota to fix mine but still has issues, all this after 9 months of to and from the dealer, it has sent me insane.

so people be aware and stay away from Toyota gps head units, read Google posts on how many ppl are having same or similar issues, but Toyota don't care cause they have your money now

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , i have it in mine (KXR 2013 model) , and i just love it! , it has many more features then what i would ever use.It has the choice of 2 female and 1 male voice , i picked the male voice as i found him a lot easier to listen too......lol :)

Hi,

do you have your reversing camera hooked up to small upper monitor or head unit?

Cheers

Hi Alex , my reverse camera is still on the small display screen and not on the Stereo. I do want to get it hooked over onto the larger screen . as nice as the little display is to have (safety wise) , even Toyota concluded its too small .Ive been told i can get it hooked over and will get done at my next service due December.

Cheers Dan.

Hi Alex , my reverse camera is still on the small display screen and not on the Stereo. I do want to get it hooked over onto the larger screen . as nice as the little display is to have (safety wise) , even Toyota concluded its too small .Ive been told i can get it hooked over and will get done at my next service due December.

Cheers Dan.

How much are they going to charge you for that? I thought I could buy a plug or a splitter or something so I can do it myself. I found a few free plugs hanging behind the head unit but none would fit in. I better seek a professional advice.

Cheers

They did tell me an additional plug/connector is required to hook up the camera to the sat nav .The connector is only a few bucks but i wasnt given a price as yet on how much the labour would be.The reason im getting them to do it as i would have no idea how to safely remove the unit and connect it correctly , without damage or scratching the plastic surround.My next service is due in December (20,000km) , so i will get it done then.

Dan :)

They did tell me an additional plug/connector is required to hook up the camera to the sat nav .The connector is only a few bucks but i wasnt given a price as yet on how much the labour would be.The reason im getting them to do it as i would have no idea how to safely remove the unit and connect it correctly , without damage or scratching the plastic surround.My next service is due in December (20,000km) , so i will get it done then.

Dan :)

I see.

It is easy to remove all the plastic and the unit itself. I was just stuck with that connector or splitter. So I will get one from Toyota. I am expecting a Genuine Sat Nav unit this week, so we 'll see. Would you know where your GPS antenna is situated?

Cheers

Alex

Im quite sure its on the front windscreen , the internal black mesh in the glass leads to a wire connection that you can see next to the rear vision mirror.If im wrong im happy to be corrected :).