2013 Hilux Auto or Manual

PRO330

Hi i'm new on here & i'm in the process of buying a 2013 runout model Hilux in a duel cab turbo Diesel, havn't decided on SR or SR5 but my only concern is wether to go Auto or Manual.

It won't do alot of towing only from time to time it'll pull a car & trailer, i'm very interested to hear peoples opinions & experiences with both, i'll also be doing about 50,000kms a year.

• 2 months later...

Hi PRO330,

Did ya buy one yet?.

We bought the SR5 Auto. If i had my time again i would buy a manual.. Heap of trans troubles and still ongoing.. We do a lot of towing, not big weights but nearly always something on behind.

If you haven't bought yet just work out how much towing you will do and how much gear changing you will need to do on a day to day basis.. If are towing more then gear changing go the manual if your in traffic all day going up and down the gears but not that much towing go the auto.

Only tow in 3rd auto and expect to overheat the trans and suck heaps of diesel.. My last trip towing 1.74 ton including trailer was 18 ltr per 100 klm average...

I'm an apprentice at my local Toyota dealership and I'd have to say get the Auto, I can't recall ever having one come in with a problem, the manuals go through clutch's really quickly no matter how you drive them. Or if you are hearing bad things on the 4 speed auto the new hilux with the 5 star crash rating is apparently coming with a 5 speed auto similar if not basically the same as whats in the prado which again I've never seen a problem with.

A mate of mine wanted the auto in 4WD Hilux D4D, and he has always had manuals.. but it was not available.. he believed it would be superior when 4WDing as the Auto is supposedly very good at controlling traction etc..

I'd prefer manual.