tow bar for hilux dual cab with long 6ftx6ft tray

hooley dooley

Want a Toyota part towbar for a 2011 hilux dual cab with a long 6ftx6ft tray. Can't pull caravan because the normal towbar is too far under the tray and cornering is difficult with the result of brake lights on vehicle and gas bottles on van being wiped out even when the towbar is extended to max. Having difficulty getting another towbar. Has anyone else had this problem

There are big risks in lengthening towbars. It dramatically increases the stresses on the towbar, and its mounts. It may break, or at least bend it and/or the chassis. It's better to fit a legal tray, as your usually only allowed 1M aft the rearmost axle to the end of the vehicle. Heavy vehicles are different. Gas bottles need new regulations as to where they should be mounted, as on the A frame has led to many serious problems. If you don't fit a proper tray, expect police persecutions, esp in NSW.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue towing a boat. Resolved with a trip to autobarn and bought the extended tongue. It was rated to 2500kg so no loss in tow weight.

I couldn't turn right on full lock without the bow of the boat hitting my rear rhs ladder on my canopy.