Self install of HU

JAZE55

Im soon to getting a new HU for the stivo but just wanted to ask people who have installed HU themselves how hard is it. As in the wiring up of the HU, try to save where i can. I want to DIY, as i dont like the thought of dodgy jobs, wheras doin it your self you know its done properly.

thnx in advance

jason

hi jason,

i've been wanting to install an aftermarket headunit really soon, and was told that the easiest way to install it would be to buy a wiring harness from super cheap auto (cost around $15-20).

from what i was informed, they are make/model specific, and plug straight in, so you only have to connect up the wires to your HU, and no messing about trying to figure out what wire is what, as it is all labelled. the pro of this is that if you ever want to put the stock unit back in, it will just plug straight in.

disclaimer: this is what i have been told, i have not actually gone out and tried to buy a harness, nor have i installed a HU before, still in the process of sourcing it.

hope i helped =) if its wrong, disregard :lol:

The door sills come off easy, so you can run the wires down through there if you want.

There's a rubber grommet that feeds through the firewall (the wall that blocks the engine bay from the interior) which you can feed wires through to the battery (can be a bitch to get through).

If you want an easy grounding point without any drilling, the Corolla's standard point is in the engine bay from memory (it is on the Conquest anyway).

Other than that it's pretty straight forward installing it. :)

thnx for the advice guyz, i have changed speakers in my old car which is pretty straight forward its just i hav never attempted the HU. well if worst comes to worst ill just get some1 to do it ahahah :P .

Also would anyone know if it is possible to just run a sub and amp off the stock setup, overall i rate it pretty above average, just lackiing in the bass department.

thnx for the advice guyz, i have changed speakers in my old car which is pretty straight forward its just i hav never attempted the HU. well if worst comes to worst ill just get some1 to do it ahahah :P .

Also would anyone know if it is possible to just run a sub and amp off the stock setup,  overall i rate it pretty above average, just lackiing in the bass department.

the wiring kit is by aerpro

Also would anyone know if it is possible to just run a sub and amp off the stock setup,  overall i rate it pretty above average, just lackiing in the bass department.

nope, as there are no RCA imputs into the back of the stock HU. At least on the pre-facelift, not sure on the facelifted models

Someone mentioned in another thread there was an amp that could connect to the stock HU?

But I recommend an upgrade. Running the stock speakers off a new decent HU, you'll be able to hear the difference in bass response immediately. :)

carefull of the wireharness at autobarn might not line up the speaker wires properly

i bought one that was backwards. only heard static and was wondering ...... hmmm...

*drinks beer*

sent it -----> auto electrician to find out

LOL :lol:

carefull of the wireharness at autobarn might not line up the speaker wires properly

i bought one that was backwards. only heard static and was wondering ...... hmmm...

*drinks beer*

sent it -----> auto electrician to find out

LOL  :lol:

yer start with a good head unit to process ur sounds, then im gonna go REALYL good front stage .. like some alpine type X splits off a 2ch amp and ima leave my stock rear speakers but fade them out to about 10-20% so my sound isnt too flat

then im gonna get one decent 12inch sub and a monoblock to run it.

So far ive got myself a Pioneer P1Y headunit

looking at splits next

sounds like a ncie setup ROMP

but in mine ill be doing all 6 speakers

amps

subs and HU too

going all out hehe

but thats WAY down the track got better things to do at the moment

when u say 6 speakers u mean the two in the door, two tweets and the two in the rear doors?

to be honest ur nto gonna notice much from the back unless u jsut want bass or u gonna do surround sound (in which case i been told u can get a centre speaker).. most SQ setups are front setup and fade the rears almost out so its like a concert environment with sound coming from in front of u.. if u got stock rear and a sub then ull be fine.

yeah thats what i meant by 6 speakers

i guess i just wanna have the whole system then get it tuned properly and that way ill have he best sound from it

i can assure you the rears are used to

but im used to front speakers as i used to drvie a ute LOL

yeah thats what i meant by 6 speakers

i guess i just wanna have the whole system then get it tuned properly and that way ill have he best sound from it

i can assure you the rears are used to

but im used to front speakers as i used to drvie a ute LOL

ute's are mad.. im really into the SS utes slammed on 18inch chrome :)

if i was a construction worker thats what id drive hehe

got that right

utes are my favourite cars too

im only keeping my stivo max 3 years then im buying the brand new SS ute of the time

wich im sure will be the VE series still by then

but 18's on a commodore are small now you gotta go 19's or even 20's

got that right

utes are my favourite cars too

im only keeping my stivo max 3 years then im buying the brand new SS ute of the time

wich im sure will be the VE series still by then

but 18's on a commodore are small now you gotta go 19's or even 20's

yer true .. 19s would be good .. with the mesh style rim

i as told byt he dealer that ther are plugs for subs and amps in the back of the stock unit for the 05 models

i have no idea if this is true or not

Yes it is true..you can run sub and amps through the stock head unit..i'm running that at the moment..sigh...no money..to buy decent head units..anyway..all you need to do is buy a converter..but in the long run..its better to upgrade your head unit...you'll get better sound...

p.s. i'm using stock head unit and running 2 amps, a sub, front splits and rear coaxials...it sounds better than stock...but with new head unit, i believe it will sould a lot better.....

before any one ask, y i'm still running a stock head unit...its a long story...i was poor and broke at that time, when i first upgraded my stuff.....ok..i'm stil poor and broke...but anyway.....i'll get around to my headunit one day.........

i as told byt he dealer that ther are plugs for subs and amps in the back of the stock unit for the 05 models

i have no idea if this is true or not

Yes it is true..you can run sub and amps through the stock head unit..i'm running that at the moment..sigh...no money..to buy decent head units..anyway..all you need to do is buy a converter..but in the long run..its better to upgrade your head unit...you'll get better sound...

so you mean its not true then if u need a converter :)

ok sweet so he wasnt lieing to me

i might go get my fsions subs installed in a couple of weeks then

ive had them sitting there doing nothing

actually thinking of selling them

well 1 fusion sub

twin sub box

ok sweet so he wasnt lieing to me

i might go get my fsions subs installed in a couple of weeks then

ive had them sitting there doing nothing

actually thinking of selling them

well 1 fusion sub

twin sub box

im trying to research one GOOD 12inch sub .

dont want two cheap subs.. will save on room too