Whats this???

DRF122R

I was checking my airbox as im planning to get a K&N Panel and pipe it to the front of the car, when i found this white funnel thingy in the airbox on the inlet side (TOP) of the airbox and stetched all the way to the other end of the box. Anyone know what this actually does, will taking it off while driving have better gains as the inlet is now in the middle of the box.

post-1319-1133173466_thumb.jpg

it's there to straighten the airflow for the MAF sensor. Most MAF sensor equipped vehicles have an arrangement like that, the BOSCH MAF sensors have that built into the MAF housing itself.

I was checking my airbox as im planning to get a K&N Panel and pipe it to the front of the car, when i found this white funnel thingy in the airbox on the inlet side (TOP) of the airbox and stetched all the way to the other end of the box. Anyone know what this actually does, will taking it off while driving have better gains as the inlet is now in the middle of the box.

If your using the standard of airbox, removal of this will make your MAF sensor read incorrectly as the airflow will "tumble" past the MAF sensor rather than pass straight through it. If you've removed it, put it back in.

All the Corolla's will have this in the airbox lid.

If your using the standard of airbox, removal of this will make your MAF sensor read incorrectly as the airflow will "tumble" past the MAF sensor rather than pass straight through it. If you've removed it, put it back in.

All the Corolla's will have this in the airbox lid.

quote from above might explan a little bot of info but i have no experience with this

my guess is the air pod

pods are designed to spiral the air into the pipe for better performance or soemthing like that (not 100% sure)

so in saying that you dont need the plastic thing to do it aswell