After-market Headlights

Hi Guys, first post here. Im from NZ and its a bit hard to get information for Aurion here.

i have a Grande (presara) 2008. the guy i bought it from previously seemed to have an accident at some point and replaced the Presara model lights (HID) with the at-x lights. he had some loose connection and now one of the lights has melted the housing so needs replacement for the whole thing. Toyota quoted me 998.00 for one at-x model headlight, and 1800.00 for one Presara model headlight. if a choose to go Presara i need to get both replaced that means 3600.00 plus labour cost.

i found these after-market lights and wonder how much work would i need to get them installed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRL-CCFL-Angel-Eyes-Projector-Head-Light-TOYOTA-AURION-/130498726156

they are really expensive but way cheaper than what Toyota quoted me.

i see a lot of helpful topics here and hoping to get some good advice on the items i am about to buy. it would be a pain if i get it to NZ and they dont fit properly or i find out that i need something additional to get them working.

Try calling SSS Automotive in Victoria and ask them for a quote. They quoted me $316 for a 2010 Sportivo headlight (factory). I have a business and LMCT license so they might quote you a bit more, but still a lot cheaper than what you've mentioned.

They might quote cheaper but not sure if i should go for originals or just upgrade. if i do upgrade, what are your thoughts on the quality of Mars Performance Lights, and would i need anything more to go with it?

http://marsperformance.com.au/LED-DRL-CCFL-Angel-Eyes-Dual-Beam-Projector-Head-Lights-Toyota-Aurion

I've heard that you get what you pay for with mars lights. Have a talk to Luke (aka defyant). What this guy don't know about lights, ain't worth knowing. You might have to buy a set of 2nd hand lights and get them to him so he can work his magic but I doubt you will be dissappointed.

Yeah i tried getting in touch with Luke but seems he is offline... :(

hoping he replys soon. another member has the genuine lights and hopefully i can get them sorted with Luke as i cant drive at night...

cant believe NZ has so limited choices when it comes it custom lights for the Aurion....

FYI if you go for mars light, you will have a great reduction in visibility as the projectors are poooooooo!

All good if your on city streets all the time but don't even try driving at night.

Also you setup will change from having two separate bulbs for hi and low

To One H4 bulb doing both on an electrically powered solenoid

Hope it helps

thanks for your reply.

i have purchased the headlights already so i will see how it goes. i mostly drive in the city roads so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue... if in case it is, i guess i can upgrade to better bulb? in which case, would you have any recommendations?

thanks for your reply.

i have purchased the headlights already so i will see how it goes. i mostly drive in the city roads so hopefully it wont be too much of an issue... if in case it is, i guess i can upgrade to better bulb? in which case, would you have any recommendations?

I'm now running a set of H4 4300k CANBUS Phillips HIDs in mine, as a bulb it doesn't get much better than that. You have to remember that it's not the bulb at fault here, yes it will help a bit but the problem is the projector in the units themselves. The way it spreads the light is really bad. So even with my set of ****hot HIDs it's still about 40% of the stock lights maybe less.

HIbeam is just non existent as it's just a flap triggered by a solenoid that shuts off half the beam when on LOw.

I'm probably making it sound worse than it is but I'm funny with saftey and I want you to be ready before you go for a nice country night drive

Yeah it does sound pretty bad...lol...

i will see how it goes since they are already on the way...in the worst case, i should be able to sell them off here... :spiteful:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got them today and will take it out for a ride tonight to see how the lights are working in dark situations. Won't face too much difficulties as it's all city driving.
Will post some pictures later

20140508 163808[1]

20140508 163755[1]

20140508 175246[1]

Doesnt look too bad...and the light is actually bright enough but then again i drive city roads mostly. it does not compare the OEM lights especially high beam....but the low beam is pretty impressive. also, i just got the stock halogen bulbs that come with the lights. i am now going to order HID Xeon bulbs and they should make things better...

Edited by ashneelbhan
  • Like 1