Nova with unknown engine type

Hi people,

I have an 89 nova 1.6l DOHC Carbi sedan and it had has a tag on it that says 4A and then in little letters it says 4A/T.

Now I have done a lot of research and I can not for the life of me find out any information specifically to this engine. (I have a manual and it looks like a 4AF... mostly). I have attached an image of my bay. The problem I have is that I am in need to know exactly the type of engine is as I may need to replace critical parts.

On another note I overheated the engine (well I didn't my that's a long story) and (from what I have been told) the radiator was empty, Once the radiator had water back into it a road side mechanic said that the coolant system was being pressurized by either a cracked head or a blown head gasket. Now on the side of the road we dropped the coolant and put a bottle of chemi-wield down its guts and followed the instructions. After that was done the car drove for 1.5 hours without going higher then normal temp. Next time the car was used it started to over heat again within 10 mins, then screaming the car home it didn't go any where near the red line.

My question is. If the head is cracked / head gasket blown, is pressure testing the coolant system going to help with finding out anything? or will it just push water into one of the piston bores?

post-35428-0-97443600-1398858378_thumb.j

4AFC, not 4AFE. 4AFC is the carby engine in Australian Corollas/Novas, despite what you might think the "C" doesn't actually stand for "Carby" though (it's "California")